Strange/Rude Things You Hear While Walking the Corgi(s)?

While out walking the dogs with my boyfriend's sister, the guy on the corner was out on his front lawn, and was clearly drunk. "Out walkin' the puppies, huh?" He slurred at us. We smiled and replied, "Yup." He was like "That sucks." 

... what the... O=

Wasn't expecting that response at all LOL. I just replied with "That's alright, we like to go walking." and walked on as briskly as possible. It may have taken me a few extra seconds to respond, because I was so shocked someone would say that to some people who are clearly out enjoying their walk. Sigh... oh, those drunks... =u.u;=

Anyone else heard any offensive, crazy, or unexpected things while out walking with your dog(s)?

Views: 3627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Poor Ziggy, this is usually the first thing that is said about him... But it's usually meant as an "AWWW" type ordeal as well, so I roll with it. His chunk is definitely part of his charm.. Though he does have to lose a few for health's sake... Sigh, poor guy just loves food so much, it's like all he looks forward to, and he hardly gets any as is... Serving sizes suck, but I try to make sure to give him any fruits or veggies I eat that he'll have, so at least he's getting low cal nommage on the side!? (He still thinks he's starving, and has decided that he all of a sudden likes "kitty cakes"!)

There are a few families in our townhouse development that have grandparents living in the household, not all of whom speak English fluently.  A few of them are frightened of dogs and will cross the street giving us dirty looks when we're out walking.  Others seem unafraid of dogs, but insist on taunting Mishka by acting creepy (rushing toward me, doing that strange bent-over fast shuffle that small children do, except they're grown adults) until Mishka's weirdness threshold is hit and he starts barking.  Then the person laughs and repeats.  A few I've been able to ask to not play with my dog that way - our first walk is usually before 7am and Mishka's alarm bark is LOUD.  The rest I have to watch out for and avoid.

Of course there are also a few of these neighborhood elders who speak limited English but love dogs and are fabulous to interact with.

On a funnier note I've had a car full of college students pull over (I work near Stanford) and all 5 passengers have poured out to pet Mishka.  Now I get to say Mishka stops traffic.

I've also been told (by a guy that had corgis) that there are 3 types of corgis: Pem, Cardi, and some other type--forget what the third type is that he said.  And that Scout was the 3rd type b/c she is a black headed tri.  I said, no, she's a Pembroke.  Then the guy just said "I'd go look it up" and left.

I've had an old man bellow at me for letting Ellie sniff at a tree.  The tree is between the sidewalk and the road, so not attached to the man's front lawn, and it was clear that all she was doing was sniffing at it to see who had been there recently.  The same man has also bellowed at me for "allowing" Ellie to poop on grass a couple of houses down from his (again, between the sidewalk and road as I do not allow her to potty right on someone's front lawn.)  He seems to ignore the very obvious bright blue, bone-shaped baggy holder (complete with neon green baggies) attached to the leash.

More often than not, though, people get a bit smile on their faces when they see Ellie coming.  I usually hear, "Aww, a corgi!" as they pass by, even if they're in a car.  :)

When I walked Waffle on campus, it seemed the only conversation anyone ever had was about Corgis! lol.  

I let him run around off-leash between some residence halls and I heard "OH MY GOD THERE IS A CORGI OUTSIDE" from one of them.  

I have some people ask me how much he was, but only after stating they have been thinking about getting one.  I don't think that's rude, really.  I tell them how much he was and why he cost that much.

Once, at the beach, I had someone shout to his friend "You can't even run faster than that dog! How could you beat me in a race?"  Well, I threw Waffle's ball and Waffle shot off like a rocket.  That guy's jaw dropped to the ground.

I left him in the car for 5mins while I went inside to get food and I came out with two people awkwardly trying to take pictures of him through the car windows to show their friend (who apparently was obsessed with Corgis).  I pulled him out and they got some better pictures, but they were really embarrassed.

We get mostly wonderful comments about our dogs and have even had people stop their cars and get out to visit. We hear "Oh look, CORGIS!" so often that ours have learned that he word "corgis" means them and will start moving towards whoever made the sound.

I have had two different people ask how much they cost, and they did not seem like the types of people who were dog-shopping, so I always say something vague (Maddie was technically free, as a rehome, so I usually say 'this one was free!') because I fear dog-thieves.

I have had someone tell me Jack was too fat about a week after someone else told me he was looking kind of skinny. LOL. I talked to the breeder about unasked for comments about weight and she said when people offer her unsolicited feedback, she usually says something like "Thank you, that's interesting" and leaves it at that.
I have had this happen to me to, or say why is one fat and not the other (i have 2 corgis a female and a male, both at a good weight) everyone thinks they are an expert.

Just a few weekends ago, we took Tucker on a hike with us, and we passed this one guy for the second time and he says to me, "your going to kill your dog with those short legs"  and he let out a bit of a laugh...so I just laughed with him, thinking I hope he isn't serious, and if he is, he should do some research on corgis!!!  It was not a long hike either!!

I was walking Chase around my own neighborhood, we made a big circle in the subdivision and we were ALMOST home when we passed through this lady's yard.
We walked through her (huge) side yard in order to stay out of the road and she came out of her house in order to yell "Don't let it GO in my yard! I MEAN IT!"
I waved my poo bags and responded with "I've got it covered!"
This happened again. Same yard, same lady. I don't know if she is getting Chase confused with another dog (I don't know how you could confuse a Corgi with another dog) or if she generally dislikes dogs. But it happened again.
This time I wasn't as friendly,
I responded with "If you continue to harass me and my dog I will GO in your yard! And I won't pick it up!"
Not the nicest way to handle the situation but I didn't want this to happen EVERY TIME we went on our walks.
She doesn't run out her door at me anymore. :)

When Baxter was about one year old and a little overweight, I heard a couple girls walking toward me say, "Look at that fat puppy!" To which I replied to my boyfriend next to me, "I know those stupid girls aren't talking about MY puppy!" Now that we have Baxter's weight under control, I hear all the time, "Oh my god, your corgi is so skinny!" Then I usually have to tell them in a polite way, "No, your dog/lots of corgis (depending on the situation) is/are actually overweight."

I was so pleased to hear a comment made at our last agility trial, "Wow, your corgi is so muscular!" I responded with, "Thanks, he works out." =)

I havn't has any negative towards Lemmy, I've heard "OH MY GAWD! A CORGIIII!!" squealed across the parking lot, I tried so hard not to laugh.
I've had rude things happen with Pilot.....just the other day we were walking and a man sitting on a bench just started snapping his fingers at Pilot, to get Pilot to go over to him. Doesn't ask me, says absolutely nothing, didn't even make eye contact with me. So rude! Luckily snapping to Pilot is; I told you to do something, and you haven't. I looked at the guy and was like " Sorry he's still training" the dude was like " ooooo riiight" really dry like. Ugh!

I was thinking I had mentioned this in the past, but I had a lady come flying down the street when she saw me, pulled in to her driveway and blocked my path on the sidewalk. She cussed at me, arms flying and said I didn't pick up after my dog. She said both her and her boyfriend watch me every single day allow my dog to **** in their yard and not clean it up. I held up my right hand with evidence I do pick up after my dog and I showed her extra bags as well. She kept going off. I walked across the street and we no longer go by her house. My thought is they only saw me out walking my dog on a daily basis, so accused me of never picking up after him.

Then I've had others that thank me for always picking up after Noodles and even doing so in the weeds at our neighborhood park. I figured, Noodles walks through that area and I follow, so I don't want others stepping in his deposits. My mom makes fun of me because I always have 3-4 poop bags on hand whenever Noodles comes with me. Hey, you have to be prepared, right?

I do get quite often while jogging with Noodles why I've allowed him to get so fat. Those who know corgis tell me he looks skinny, but those who don't know what a corgi is, constantly feel the urge to tell me he is fat. My best come back with that comment is, "he is big boned like his mom". The looks on their face is priceless and they don't say another word.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service