I'm writing this with throbbing fingers (from being chewed on) and an extremely frustrated state of mind. The first two or three times I ever clipped Hannah's nails were a breeze. She didn't fight me at all and seemed interested in the whole process. However, it's been nothing but a huge struggle and a major hassle since then. Mind you, I never accidentally clipped any nails too short or anything else that would cause such a change in behavior. However, when I try to do it now, it's a nightmare. She will sometimes let me grasp her paw without struggle, but the minute the clippers touch her nail, all hell breaks loose. She doesn't snap at me, but she does try to chew my fingers off my hand in the process.

Even enlisting the help of a third party has done no good. I touch her feet all the time. I let her see the clippers, smell them, and lick them when we aren't actually using them. I've tried using really awesome treats during clippings. I just don't understand. I really don't want to shell out $15 to get her nails clipped regularly, but it seems like it's come to that. Even then, I'm worried about how she will behave at the vet's office. At this rate, though, I'm lucky if I can even get 4 nails done over 2 days time.

I'm open to any additional advice here. I'm out of ideas.

Views: 202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lou Ann, Jack won't let me hug him either! The only exception he makes to hugging is for toddlers, who he allows to do anything including poke him in the eye. But if I try to hug him he grumbles and backs up really quick. He also won't let you flip him on his back, even playing around.

He hated baths and would also panic, but then we started putting him in the walk-in shower instead (no sides) and he's so much better. It still takes two of us to do it, though. He's funny because even though he hates baths, he knows when we want him for one and he will whine at the bottom of the stairs and run up when he hears the shower start and go right in! Then he wants to get out again, of course, but it's like he's saying "Let's get this over with!".
Hi Beth,

Wow...I'll have to try my walk in shower but I put a rain head on it sooo I guess I'll have to find the old one with the long hose again! Mine has 3 sides but it's about 3'X6' and I could leash them to a grab rail!

It's funny about the kids because all my dogs gravitate to kids...forget other dogs just give them the kids! But this is good!
Jane, I should have said the shower has three walls, not none! LOL The front is open though which makes him feel less confined.

If we had a grab bar to tie the leash to, that would work, but we don't so my husband volunteers to go in the shower and hold the dog while I shampoo from the (relatively) dry bathroom floor. It's quite the sight, let me tell you!

Sorry, Jamie, that has nothing to do with toenails!
Cheese is great...everytime they hear the cheese drawer mine do the same thing....cheese in a can is a great way to go! I see it used alot in agility!!!!
Yep, I pay the groomers at PetSmart to trim, and it takes 2 of them...
I have brought a nail grinder for that purpose. No amount of treats can bribe her when it come to nail cutting. She cried even before the nail clipper touches her nail :(
I too use a soft muzzle on 2 of my dogs. It seems once that muzzle is on, they give in. They know they can't bite me, so they don't fight me. Then I give them a treat when I am done. What use to take every ounce of strength I had to do my one girl, now it takes five minutes. Cody use to try and bite me, now with the muzzle, its over in no time!
Maybe call around for prices on nail clipping. My groomer will clip my dogs nails for 5 dollars. It doesnt take but a couple minutes. Pretty good wage. About dollar a minute...lol
There is a way to hold them down that takes 2 people - 1 to hold, 1 to clip - that groomers use. I know this b/c I worked briefly in a grooming salon (before I got hurt in a car accident and had to quit so I could heal). I held several dogs down for nail clipping... But it's been about a year ago and I haven't tried it on mine since, so I can't remember the specifics and it would be hard to describe in writing anyway. I'd recommend any of the suggestions on here. I have my own separate thread from several months ago about this very same issue! Heidi's nails are getting long again so I'm trying to decide which approach to try this time. LOL. Good luck!!!
Don't take her to a vet's office for nail clipping. They don't really care how dogs behave and do it by force. So it won't do any good. My friend's dog has to be sedated for nail clipping every time now because he had a very bad experience at vet's.
4 nails in 2 days is not bad, it actually could be a start. Just do 1 nail a day and maybe she'll realize it's not that bad. Start with touching her paw with clippers and only let go of her when she's calm.
Also, sometimes the hair in between the toes could get pinched by clippers so watch out. Shiro is usually OK but when this happens he screams like I'm cutting him in half.
I tried the dremel also. Took my time, Duncan got use to the sound, it touching his foot (somewhat), but as soon as I touch his nail, he yelped and screamed......another panic attack.
Jack will allow me to touch his nail with the Dremmel if and only if he is licking peanut butter off the spoon at the same time, and even then I'm not actually shortening the nail, just touching briefly.. We are still working on improvement. Even with the PB, he keeps twitching his foot. I may try a muzzle just to see if it has some sort of magical calming effect.

I have spent over two years getting this dog used to me touching his feet, and still.... not so good! I can clean his ears and brush his teeth no problem, but the feet? Not so much.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service