So, last night we noticed Waffle was feeling very down.  He only sort of wanted to play, he wasn't very excited to see my boyfriend, he wasn't interested in continuing play.  I thought it was because I was unable to walk him for the past few days.  I thought I would wake up early and take him for a walk this morning before my longest day of class.  He didn't get up out of his bed until I opened the door and called him, which is very unusual.  Normally he's up and running around with me.  We went outside and he pooped several times, also unusual.  His poop was thin and orangeish colored-- not unusually colored for him.  Also not terribly unusual that it was thin.  It was solid.  I didn't take him for a walk because he seemed uncomfortable.

The last time he ate was a big raw meal Sunday.  He had a duck wing, some kidney, some liver, a chicken foot, and a small like of brisket.  Normally he doesn't eat the chicken foot because everything else is pretty filling, but he ate it Sunday.  I guess he was hungry.  After that, he kind of laid down and looked full and happy.  He didn't eat yesterday even though I tried to feed him; also not unusual, he is picky when I don't feed him raw.  He also got to lick the queso dip off my plate at our Superbowl "party".  

Is there something that could be causing him to be lethargic besides an upset tummy?  How serious do you think it is?  Should I feed him pumpkin or something else to calm his tummy?  Can I palpitate his abdomen for a bone shard or something stabbing into his gut? :|  I'm really worried, and I would have stayed home today to watch him but I have a test and 2 labs. :| 

Views: 148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, I should add that he ate cookies last night.  So, he's not totally opposed to eating.

I feed raw and when my puppies tummies are upset I usually boil chicken instead of raw. (usually after they miss a meal or two) or boil chicken neck. Hey may not want to eat the raw food because his stomach is upset.

He may just be tired or have a bit of an upset tummy, its good that you are staying home with him, if he started puking or

his stools are soft i might take him in for a quick check up but wouldn't be too worried unless he wasn't drinking water and if he had vomitting/diareeah.

Be careful with chicken necks.  We lost our first corgi when she choked on a turkey neck.  She was a gulper, and scarfed down whole raw chicken necks routinely.
Has there been a lot of excitement lately (i.e. a Superbowl party, a long session at the dog park or a weekend away)?  When Edison's routine is interrupted, and he spends a day or two being more than usually social and/or alert to new things, he is a totally pooped puppy for the next day.  This is particularly noticeable whenever we've had another dog over, or after a visit to my in-laws' place (7 acres of forest, a lake, another dog to play with, not to mention all those wildlife smells that our city dog does not often encounter).  Alternatively, is there construction going on or a new noisy neighbor?  He might just be showing the effects of not getting his usual 10 hour daily nap.  ;)
No abnormal excitement... he's been pretty understimulated recently, actually. :[

Hi Rachael,

Check Waffle's gum and see if it's pale. check for hint of yellow in his eyes, if he continue to have tachypnea, appeared to be weak, lethargy and have no appetite, you'll need to take him to the vet immediately. (possible IMHA)

If the stool is mucous like with a hint of blood, something is wrong with the colon.

Dark tarry stool means bleeding from the upper GI tract.

Grey stool means bile duct obstruction.

Orange stool can mean several things:

1. Consumed a lot of carrots

2. Too much raw bone too soon

3. CCV - foul smell

4. IMHA

Hope it's nothing serious, keep us posted!

Hi eyes are so white they're almost blue!  But he definitely has pale gums. :|

Edit: Ugh, I checked again and they are not so pale. I think.

I took him out and he pooped orange again-- this color.  I also managed to play some ball with him so he isn't feeling TERRIBLE.  :\  After he had been awake for 5 minutes I checked his gums again too.  They're probably a little lighter than usual but not pale.
You might try giving your vet a call and asking what they think.  A lot of vets will give you options over the phone without having to bring in for an exam unless they think it is serious.  I love that you added a color square, that cracked me up!  Good luck!!  Hopefully he is feeling better tomorrow!!
Yeah, I'll call them tomorrow if he isn't feeling better and see what they think.  That's a really good idea.  Thank you!

I came back from class at 6:40 and had dinner. Waffle seemed eager to eat my food and I fixed him half a handful of his kibble and 1.5 TBSP of pumpkin with all his supplements in it. He ate it sloooowly.  

When I was cleaning my room, I found a small puddle of vomit/bile in the corner of his bed.  It was bright yellow, thick, and looked like it had crushed dog cookie sprinkled on it.  It was old... I'm not sure how old.  It was also sticky and only sat on the surface of the bed. :\  I know it wasn't from me feeding him the pumpkin because I found it before I fed him!  I did find a chewed up furniture marker by his bed. But I'm 99% sure it was non-toxic.  If he isn't feeling even better by tomorrow morning, I'm taking him to the vet.  I hope he'll be okay... I'm such a nervous mom. :[

Is he drinking water???

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service