Views: 23667

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

andrea- ive used natural recipe puppy on my last 2 corgis and never had an issue. I think as long as you give corgis the better quality food they do fine. Klaus' breeder uses wilderness for all her dogs. I think its almost like what i use.

Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of corgi's that "are fine" on the puppy food. My breeder only used puppy food for 9 weeks and then told us none after that. It wasn't good for them. She's been breeding and showing champion corgi's for over 30 years, plus my vet agrees with her. It's like car seats. Sure plenty of kids "are fine" without one from back in the day, that doesn't mean you will drive your kid around without one.

Hills Science Diet Advance Fitness for mature dogs 1-6.  3/4 cup twice a day.  We also give them melon, cauliflower, carrots, broccoli,  when we are eating them.  And I usually give them small pea sized or small tastes of whatever it is I am eating - irks my wife almost as much as it pleases the dogs. 

We've recently switched to Authority Grain Free and they love it! Even super picky Pippa eats it. We still give them yogurt, cottage cheese, frozen peas & carrots, fresh broccoli, as well as their Blue Buffalo canned food, though.

I always fed my dogs Pedigree weight control but had problems with weight gain in the winter because of less exercise.  Almost a year ago I switched them to Blue Buffalo in the yellow bag for weight control.  Didn't change anything else at all about their diets or treats.  Saturday I had them in for their annual check up plus some shots.  Max is down from 37 lbs to 35...which is super good, he is a big boned boy.  Katie was down from 30 to 29.  Vet was very please because usually when they go in this time of year they are still carrying their winter weight. I was holding my breath for this appointment to see how they had done weight wise. I also have the cats on Blue dry with no change in their canned food.  I have 2 that tend to run heavy and a fat cat is just as bad as a fat dog.  All the cats have good weight, shiny coats and are very active.

Rosemary,

You sent me on a hunt for a new snack for Tipper after telling me about your unfortunate experience with Dentastix. One thing I discovered is that quite a few dog biscuit companies import "vitamins" to use in their products from China even though their product is sourced or processed in the USA. It's a detail some might not be aware of and I'm not sure how much that matters. In general, I prefer Made in the USA --all the way!

So..after looking at quite a few snacks, I selected Doctors Foster and Smith's All Natural Biscuits. The are a nice size, are low in fat and Tipper likes them. Has anyone else tried these? So far, Tipper seems pleased. I've also considered buying By Nature's Fruit and Nut biscuits. I like the fact that they have flaxseed in them.

Good to hear, I wouldn't want anyone else to have that terrifying experience with their much loved dogs!  I have not tried Foster and Smith, but I get their catalog sometimes and their stuff looks very nice.  I'll have to give them a try.  Thank you for the update!

I swear I have the 2 pickiest corgi's in the world!  They are only 10 months old, have never had table scraps and refuse to eat commercial dog food.  I have resorted to putting green beans, carrots and chicken and rice in their kibble just to get them to eat.  I ihave only been buying premium, holistic, organic dog food.  We have gone through all of the Nature's variety - Prairie, Instinct, Instinct Boost, Canyon Creek Ranch, Iams & Blue Buffalo.  They are not fans of anything.  Tey will eat if I add chicken or veggies to it, but refuse just kibble.  I have tried canned foods, but that seemed to upset their stomachs.  I decided to go RAW and when I drove and hour to purchase it they were all out...too bad they did not tell me that over the phopne when I called about it!  So instead they told me to try Orijen.  Tried it and they ate it!!!!!  I hope they continue to eat it or else I don't know what to do!

We are a big fan of Orijen. Bogart has loved it from the first bite and has been eating it for the 8 months that we've had him (since he was 6 months old). 

My puppy Beau gets Wellness Core Grain Free Puppy Food, and he loves it.

Rachel,

You might want to try Drs. Foster & Smith canned stews to top the Orijen dry. The stew makes the dry food moist and mixes well. Plus, it's top quality. Dog Food Advisor rated Drs. Forster & Smith canned stews their highest rating. I don't know where you live but the only negative for me is that they take about a week to deliver. I also use PetGuard from Mr. Chewy as a topper, to switch it up and they deliver super fast. I like to vary her toppers between one or two quality brands. I mean, would you want to eat the same food all of the time? I don't believe that any dog food is 100% perfect.

Evanger's Grain Free also gets the highest rating on Dog Food Advisor. It's meant to be a food topper. I wouldn't feed it to my dog if it wasn't one of the best things for her.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service