What Made You First Fall In Love With the Corgi Breed?

For me, I was watching TV when a laundry commercial came on. There was a large brown wicker laundry basket and up popped either 5 or 6 of the most adorable puppy faces. They were all ears. It was love at first sight! I had been wanting to get a dog and when I saw those faces, I turned to my husband and told him that was the dog I wanted.

Views: 1412

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My brother in laws corgi Isabella (fawn colored pembroke) was how we came to obssess over corgis.     :)  She came to visit us in Illinois from Minnesota and just fell in love.  After a few years of not having a dog we finally decided to look for a corgi.  We thought we would get a pembroke, but ended up with a blue merle cardigan!  Then when we thought we woul have added another caridgan, either blue merle or brindle we ended up finding Tucker, the red and white colored pembroke.   Isabella passed middle of last year, but we will always have her to thank for introducing us to the love of corgis. 

Your dogs are very cute. The Blue Merle is so unusual. Really beautiful markings. Sorry about the passing of your brother-in-laws Isabelle, that had to be difficult and a huge void.

My first corgi all came about from watch a gardening show.

My husband and I both had grown up with dogs...he with cocker spaniels and me with first a beagle and then a boxer mix.  We had a cat when we lived in an apartment and when we moved into our house with a fenced yard we knew it was time for a dog.  A friend had been to the shelter and said they had an Old English Sheepdog and that's what my husband wanted...his parents had had one and she was a sweetie.  We went and the dog was gone and then we spotted a purebred 6 month old Irish Wolfhound.  My IL's had one and we both loved the breed.  She was given up because she was getting too big.  You don't get a dog that is the tallest breed and then give it because it's too big.  Over the years we had mutts and another purebred wolfhound.

Then along came HGTV and I loved the Gardening Guy with Paul James...he had a Pembroke and I adored watching that dog.  Hubby wasn't too sure...he likes big dogs, me too.  Then he met his sister's PWC and fell in love.  After we lost our last mutt we went on the hunt for a rescue corgi and that's when we got our first, Arnie.  We were both hopelessly in love with the breed.  After we lost Arnie at age 9 to cancer we went looking again.  I contacted the Mayflower Welsh Corgi club in MA and Karen Baker (Crystal Corgis) had one of her pups being returned not thru any fault of his.  Poor guy weighed in at 54 lbs and was a fluffy that was shaved bald.  He immediately became my heart dog even tho he looked like a potbellied pig with a corgi head...I have never had a dog that took over my heart as fast as he did.  A year later we were so impressed with his breeding and as most corgi people know, you can't have just one.  So we contacted Karen and asked if she had any of hers that we was retiring.  So Katie joined our family....she is Max's niece by one of his sisters.

Katie just turned 10 and Max will be 12 in June.  When I think of his age and know that I don't have years and years with him I get sick.  I don't know how I will handle it when he is not with me.

Oh yes, I used to watch Paul James all the time!

Dogs 101! I never knew about a corgi until I watched Dogs 101 on Animal Planet! I grew up in a Golden Retriever home, so we never really had any other breed so I wanted to try a corgi out and boy are they so much different from Goldens. Haha

For me was all about size, convenience, inteligence and good with other pets and kids.   It almost sounds like a "Whish List" or what you'd find on a dating site right..   ?   :)

My wife wanted a Bernese Mountain Dog and although they are beautiful the life expectancy and number of complications if you do not get one from a reputable breeder was something I couldn't gamble with.    Plus, considering I had had my motorcycle accident about 1.5 years before, I wasn't ready to have a large size dog giving me a hard time during winter and ice walking.

So the corgi was perfect as a puppy, and lets face it, that face is full of personality.

The common "Awwwww" is heard everywhere we go so I'm proud of having a quality dog that can be as much with us inside and enjoy the weather of the Maritimes every year.

A professor at my college had a Pembroke that often accompanied him to classes.  He was a familiar sight on campus, running alongside as the professor rode his bike.  He was so cute with those little legs and big ears, and so sweet with all his admirers.  I grew up with a Sheltie, so I knew I wanted a herding breed because of their intelligence and attachment to their families.  My husband wanted a smaller dog, no bigger than 30 pounds.  So when we moved into our house with a fenced backyard and decided to get a dog, a corgi was our first choice.  We were so happy with our first one that we got a second one a few months ago!

I knew nothing about Corgis until I met my boss's Charlie. He was so adorable, sweet-natured, and funny. I took a long time to decide to get a dog and did some research, ultimately finding that a Corgi was a good choice for me. So partly meeting one and part research. And now I have my unspeakably cute, butt-wiggly Lucy who is sweet, friendly to all humans and canines, and such a great companion on walks through the woods.

When I was a kid, we had this great book with pictures and names of a lot of different breeds. I LOVED the way the corgi looked but never remembered the breed name, just their awesome looks.

I grew up with a German Shepherd and then my sister had a G.S. when we were teenagers so it was "our" dog.  When I finally learned more about corgis, I thought they were perfect and so many people say they're very similar to Shepherds and that is a bonus!

Now my husband and I are getting our first Corgi in just over a week!!

I hadn't had a dog since I was kid and had been wanting one forever since we couldn't have one at my parents' house with my bro's allergies and all... So my husband (then fiance) promised me that after we go married I could have a puppy. I had no clue what to get though, there were like 10 breeds I wanted to have lol. So after we knew we'd be moving into an apartment, I needed something under any 40 lb weight limits, but not a small dog that I could easily step on. And it had to be good with kids since we'll be having those someday. 

Then one day, a friend of mine was talking about her boss's two Pembroke corgis. After seeing pictures and thinking they were absolutely adorable, I started checking them out online. That's when I learned that Cardigans existed.. I could have a corgi AND have a dog with a tail! I also liked the idea of having a dog that not everyone around here has. And I was from hence forth smitten :D

After shopping around we found a breeder close to where we would be living that we liked and got our puppy boy (he was an accidental leftover from a litter at another breeder's that one of her dogs had sired, but that meant we got to take him home sooner) and couldn't be happier! Everywhere we go, we have to explain that he's not a corgi mix and is instead a different breed, but everyone greets us with a huge smile and "awww" when he trots up to them to say hi and for lovin's :) 

When I was a teenager I babysat for a couple who bred and showed corgis. I fell in love with the male his name was Boomer. From that moment I knew one day I would have a corgi. Now I have 2 and 1 corgi mix. :)

The tails.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service