My new baby Sophie is well.. a challenge to say the least. But the biggest issue we are having is that she is not getting a grip on the whole potty training thing. I take her out every hour to two hours. I could have her outside for 30 minutes she refuses to go. Than will come back inside and pee as soon as she walks in the door! I've tried to give her treats outside when she goes, I have tried telling her no when she does go inside and ignoring her for awhile... I need help. Anyone got any suggestions?

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When you take her outside, make sure it's not "fun". Potty time only. Do you take her out on a leash? I would take her out and stand in one spot, give her 5 minutes. If she doesn't go (and you know she needs to), bring her inside and put her in her crate for ~15 minutes. Then take her outside again. Repeat if needed. Make sure you praise the heck out of her when she does go! If the neighbors don't think you're crazy, you're not excited enough! hehe
How many weeks is she. When we got our pup at 8 wks we had to take him out every half hr or he would do have an accident. I had to put out a kitchen timer for my husband cause an hr was just too long. My dogs always go right away so I don't know what to say about that. Find out how long your pup can hold it and stick to the time schedule. You can increase the time as she gets older

Another thing that is good is when you have the puppy in the house, keep her attached to you on a leash. She won't be able to sneak off and have an accident.
She is almost 4 months old. The funny thing Sophie isn't shy. Even if she is sitting right next to me she will just pop a squat and let it flow. And right away she is scolded and taken out again. And than repeat all that. haha she is brave.
It has been awhile since I had to do this but a short walk will usually get them to do their business. I would say "go potty" the second they squatted Every Time. Now mine will go on command which really helps when we are away from home and the fenced yard and the weather is bad! I think with Sparty the neighbors thought I wore his legs off with the walking!
Are you crate training her? And how old is she? Dawn was the potty trainer for both Soffie & Griffyn. Here's the mantra she used. "when in doubt ... take them out!" But here are the basics. After they have awakened from a nap, put them out. After eating, put them out. After play time, put them out. They are like babies, what goes in ... comes out. WHILE she is pee-ing or poo-ing ... tell her good girl for "what ever word you're choosing to call it" we always used "potty" for pee and "poo" for ... well poo!! Patience, patience, patience.... is the key word for you! That is the biggest reason I let Dawn do the potty training ..... because my patience level is ZERO!!! So...... if there is someone else in your household who is more patient and willing to take on the task.... maybe they should have a go at it! Good Luck!! Once they get it.... it's golden!!
We are crate training her. She is great at that. She goes in and plops down and just passes out its like her own room. Sometimes she goes in there all by herself. She is almost 4 months. My girlfriend is actually WAY more patience than me and she usually tries and take her, but even she can't get her to go. Its crazy, it is almost like she holds it till she gets inside and than lets it all go!
As soon a she starts to go take her outside right away. It might help if you had a outside leash and chained her up until she goes potty. If she does go give her a treat.
The other thing I would do is to select a spit outdoors you want her to use. Then, the next time she pees in the house blot it really well with a paper towel. Take that paper towel outside and rub the grass with the urine and secure the paper towel there with a stone. That way, when she needs to go next she'll smell the urine and make the connection. Also, I'd reward her with a treat anytime she pees outside. Use that corgi food drive against her!
Before you got Sophie...where was she living? This could also make a difference. Exercise should make her go faster.
Right there with ya. My corgi is 8 weeks old and is fine with me, but when my husband is home, his accidents quadruple. It's crazy. If I take him out and he doesn't go, I put him in a laundry basket or his crate until he whimpers/wants out, then I take him back outside. This has been pretty effective for me...still trying to figure out why he's so much worse when my husband is home tho. :/

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service