First, thanks to all that have welcomed me to this site. I'm not the most computer literate of people so am hoping that this will reach everyone who has written me notes.

I joined the site originally because I wanted to see if there was any discussion re. adding a second Corgi to the household. Bella is definitely an alpha female - needs to answer the door first, needs to control ALL the food, have all the toys. She doesn't even play with toys anymore but if we have a canine visitor in the house she suddenly has an interest.

I am currently waiting for a two year old male rescue Corgi who is recovering from heartworm treatment (mild case) and also needs to be altered. I am looking for suggestions to optimize his good transition with Bella into the house. I will say that despite B's wanting to be top dog that once she gets to know a dog she loves to play and interact. She's great with most of the neighborhood dogs although occasionally she will react to something that I haven't seen and snap at the other dog and make alot of noise. She has never actually hurt another dog but sometimes she makes you think that she is really inflicting bodily harm! Anyway, I don't want the poor rescue boy to be overwhelmed when he first gets here. Nor do I want Bella to be unduly upset. Any suggestions?

Views: 104

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I have found that my rescues (from a not too bad puppy mill) were just great!!! I have to laugh everytime that Wiley prances down the hall when I get her food she just seems so happy to be being fed regularly and getting attention and Mariah who was adopted by a great couple is also doing great! Teddy and Jackson are my other 2 rescues and other that being a little scared and some "potty" problems 1st are wonderful too! I am so glad there are people like you who are willing to take in a dog who has maybe never had a chance to belong to a real family! Thanks for giving this little boy a chance to have a good life and remember sad things might have experienced in his little life! OK so now I'm crying...actually my own corgis give me more problems than my rescues...little devils!!!
We did not bring a rescue in but we did move our son's doberman in last December. We already knew that Sparty did not like her. So if you run into problems I found leashing the troublemaker and letting them drag it around was very helpful. If behavior appeared to be out of hand I could easily stop it by grabbing the leash. Sparty at first would get a "stare" that meant he was getting annoyed and I would intervene quickly to distract him. Misty, the dobe, was prone to running around the house which if you weigh 70 lbs is not great and the corgis and cats did not like being stepped on! I noticed it was a trigger for Sparty to attack her so I leashed her everytime she started it. She learned not to do it and Sparty rarely gives her the stare anymore. Now a simple no will put a stop to the unwanted behaviors. Anyway, that is a long way of saying a dog dragging a leash is easier to control if you run into problems! Good luck! Also well exercised dogs cause a lot less trouble.
Love the dragging leash idea - instant control!
Have them meet outside and on nuetral ground. That way your girl will not be as protective. Walk them together and let them sniff. And you should feed them seperately, giving the female her bowl first so she does not muscle in on your new arrival.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service