Hi there. :] I'm looking to bring home a corgi sometime within the next year or so, and figured I'd start doing my research now. Recently I've become intrigued with Pembrokes with tails, after seeing pictures of ones from countries where tail docking is banned. I was wondering if anyone knew of any breeders here in the US that didn't dock tails as well? I know it'd probably be pretty rare, since most breeders breed for show, and tails would be non standard... But if anyone knows of any breeders that don't, please let me know. I live in Southern California, but I'm open to breeders from farther away if they're reputable and willing to ship. If fate would allow it, I would love a fluffy boy with a tail. :]

Thank you!!

Views: 7161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you thought about shipping a puppy from out of the US?  Someone on here got her tailed Pem from a breeder in Poland.

Thanks for the suggestion, Rachael. I've actually never thought about that. I think I'd feel more comfortable getting a puppy from a breeder in the US though. Just in case anything happens, it seems like it would be easier to deal with a breeder that's domestic.

Well, the thing is, the only thing I can think of that would be "easier" with a domestic breeder is maybe language. But I can say that here in Western Europe, many dog people are VERY fluent in English - they have to be, as one of the biggest exporters of dogs is the UK.

The only real difference is the age at which you could get the puppy - within the US, you'd be able to get one at eight weeks. But you would have to wait for an EU pup to get to 4 months before he is allowed to leave on an international flight - as I learned from importing Ace from the US. The rabies shot is delivered at 12 weeks of age, and there is a 30 day waiting period for it to "take" before the pup is cleared for takeoff.

I highly suggest you pursue this route, because here in the EU, Pems roam freely with their tails! And there are some extremely savvy and respected breeders on this side of the pond. :)

Is Belroyd still breeding?  I would LOVE me some Belroyd Corgis.  Whenever I see a Pem with a head and front end that I absolutely love, guaranteed he's got Belroyd on the top of the pedigree.

I'm not too into the Pembroke scene out here, so I'm afraid I don't know if Belroyd is still actively producing litters. I do know that their dogs are insanely beautiful, though. :D

Didn't know about this line but I googled it... Those are some beautiful corgis!

Thanks for your comment, Ludi. I guess I never really considered it. I think I would be worried about the longer flight from Europe... since I'm on the west coast, that's literally half way across the world. I think for the rabies vaccination it depends on the country where the dog is from. If it's from a country that's rabies-free, that might not be as much of a problem. Whereas since US is not a rabies-free country (except for Hawaii), to "export" would probably require the vaccination.

Also since I'm not familiar with pedigree lines and such, I don't even know where I would start looking for a corgi in Europe, or what to look for, especially since I definitely wouldn't be able to take a trip to Europe to meet the dogs or the breeders. And would you happen to know if the pricing is similar to pricing in the US? If you have any advice or suggestions regarding importing a dog, I would be glad to listen.

Don't be worried about the longer flight. Ace took a 14 hour trip (and he was in the crate from start 'til finish) and he brushed it off like nothing. Corgis are tough little dudes, and won't buckle under the stress of travel. In fact, many airlines have done a lot of progress in making travel more comfortable for animals in the cargo hold - better lighting, keeping them in a quieter section, some human interaction while being loaded on, etc. :)

As for the rabies thing, it seems that if the pup comes from a country labelled "rabies-free", then there are less stringent requirements to enter the US. You're in luck!

Cost-wise, you're looking at probably slightly higher than in the US because of the exchange rate on the currency, and a lower prevalence of "hobby breeders". It seems that in the US, in every nook and cranny there is a breeder out there who's willing to part with a puppy for less than 500$. In the EU, breeders are harder to come by, but the bonus to that is you will be less likely to open yourselves up to getting a dog whose provenance and health issues you can't know.

Check out this site: http://www.welshcorgiclub.nl/WebCorgi.htm - It has a lot of clubs and individual sites listed where you can begin your search. Do not be afraid to contact people in English - many of them, if not all, do speak it as they are part of the international showing community.

Thanks for the link, Ludi. You may have done a very dangerous thing... I spent the entire afternoon looking through all the links and found one. A fluffy tailed male, in the Netherlands. And he even has a little Belroyd in the line. Haha... Now to email the breeder and try really hard to decide whether I should get a puppy right now...

In case anyone wants to see him:

http://www.limbonsnest.nl/limbonsnest/puppy2.html

He's "male 4". The individual pics are closer to the bottom. But I'm sure anyone who knows corgis will be able to tell which one he is even without a label. Haha. He's so cute and fluffy it makes me laugh!

My male's sire is from Finland by way of Australia and has a tail.  His picture is in my profile.   He's a Belroyd male-line dog.  He's got that gorgeous head.  

Beth, I looked but I didn't know where to find it! I would love to see the picture though. Belroyd dogs are gorgeous~

Oh,Oh....sooooooo cute!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service