HELP!!!! My Pup bit the groomer today (has never even tried to bite anyone before)......

Here is the story.........

I have been having a terrible time trying to trim my 6 month old corgis nails.   She allowed me to do it twice when she was younger.  The first time I was able to do it by myself, the second time I needed an extra set of hands.  I softly play with her paws throughout the day... but nothing seems to work to calm her down during the process.  I used a sharp clippers the first two times and just bought the dremel but she won't let me get near her with the thing. 

So I got desperate and brought her to a groomer just to have her nails trimmed. 

Needless to say I am not familar with dogs, I did extensive research on Corgis before getting ours and I conhtinue to do research as she grows.

My pup got excited when she walked into the groomers and saw the other dogs in the kennel, she barked.  When the groomer first pet her (while I was still holding the leash) she peed (in what I thought was excitement).  Than the groomer took her to the back and said that it works best if I don't come a shut the door.  5 minutes later I heard the groomer yell "Well I guess this isn't happening today because she just bit me."  She said that she didn't even touch my pups paws yet, that she just knelt to pet her and my pup bite her hand (two teeth marks on her hand).

She exclaimed that my pup is very disobedient and aggressive. 

In the end I gave the groomer my pups vets name and all my info because she stated that I was liable for the bite.

My pup is the only dog in our house, along with one cat.  I have a 2 year old daughter and the pup has never even tried to bite her, even if my daughter lays on her.  She welcomes house guests.  Every week we go out to the farm and she runs with the other two dogs.  She pottied trained fairly easy, still has accidents when it is pouring outside, etc.  

I am so upset over this because my pup has never done anything to lose my trust.  I don't know what happened behind the door.  I am just wondering what I shoulod do next?  The groomer made me feel horrible but yet when I stop and think about it shouldn't she have taken precautions herself?  I called my vet and told her my story and its planned for them to trim my pups nails tomorrow...  Am i in the wrong... what should I do???

Views: 339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also - the groomer told me that she was able to tell that my pup was aggressive before going int he room because she peed when she first pet her and this isn't excitement but its aggression... is this true?

Hi Chelsea, if your groomer was truly able to tell, why would she ignore her gut feeling and proceed to bring your dog to the back and work on her? So she knew she would get bit but insist on proceeding? Peeing is a sign of excitement, but it can also mean fear. I call BS on your groomer.

Let's think for a minute, why would a dog bite? it's either she was in pain / bite out of fear. You cannot pet / handle all dogs the same way, some dogs don't like to be touch in certain areas, especially when it's a stranger doing the deed. A dog cannot tap you on the shoulder to tell you that he is in pain or give you a warning with his paw, the only way a dog can do is bark (protest) and give a warning bite. (teeth can be sharp and may break skin at times, but never intent to tear skin apart, they will bite once, step back, observe your next step and react).

Aggressive dog don't give warning bites, an aggressive dog who is determine to do damage would bite to latch on and pull the skin apart, to immobilize the opponent or to kill. Aggressive dogs don't miss and they don't mess around.

When it comes to grooming, if you want to DIY, go slowly, from getting to know the grooming tool to the actual cutting should be spread throughout the week, earn your pets trust first, let him know it's no big deal, he should not worry, don't try to cram it all in one day.

Here's my recommendation, continue to work with your pup, enrol him in obedient class. Yes, biting was not nice, but there is a difference between warning bite and bite to do damage. Don't worry, your pup is young, he just need proper guidance.

As far as legal concern, every state is different. Under Minnesota law, if a dog, without provocation, attacks or injures a person who is acting peacefully in any place where the person may lawfully be, the owner is liable in damages to the person in the full amount of the injury sustained.

However, the groomer was the "keeper" of the dog because she “exercised control and authority” over the dog at the time of her injury (out of sight in another room), so talk to a lawyer, tell him about Carlson v. Friday 694 N.W.2d 828 (Minn. App. 2005). See if the case apply to you.

Peeing is either excitement, submission, or fear.  NOT aggression.  No, there is no such thing as aggressive peeing.

Very true Beth.

What Sam said it also true. I would not go back to this groomer again. Here is Mickey and Walter getting their nails done. I am actually not clipping but just practicing. I often use treats and just allow them to be introduced to the tool.  You could try this!

Hopefully you can see the video and I am sorry for my annoying voice! :)
Great job Justine! Mickey and Walter too :)

First off, you're not in the wrong for taking your pet to a "professional" to get her groomed.  I used the quotes because I have doubts about the groomer in this case.  Do groomers, where you live, have to have a license in order to work as a groomer?  Some places do and others don't.  Where I live you could just wake up one morning, say you want to be a groomer and set up shop.  So the "professionals" aren't necessarily well-versed here.

As previously mentioned, peeing is from excitement, fear, or submission.  I'm a little suspicious of the groomer.  What groomer would work on a dog that they thought was aggressive?  At the very least they would have requested the dog be muzzled.   If your vet (or anyone else) asks questions about what happened, I suggest you bring up what your groomer said about "knowing" she was aggressive.

If you want to trim those nails yourself, then head to obedience training and, if you're really concerned, talk to your trainer about her specific issue.  I, personally, had luck with my dog by associating the clippers with praise and lots of tummy rubs.  He's not a corgi, so keep that in mind, but I can trim his nails (and file the sharp edges afterward) and he actually dozes off during the process.  Every dog is different, though, so maybe I just got really really lucky. 

If all else fails, your vet will be able to handle the nail trimming in a much more controlled environment and with staff that knows how to handle a fearful dog.

Sounds like your groomer is full of you-know-what...there is no such thing as aggressive peeing, that's just ridiculous for her to say. And if she thought your pup was aggressive she should have muzzled her from the start. Your puppy is still young and has plenty of time to learn, I would highly recommend obedience classes.

A quick google brings this up - I don't think you would be liable for the bite as she was the "keeper" of the dog as Sam said.

Assumption of the risk

Assumption of the risk is a defense under the statute. It has been held that a dog groomer, who voluntarily accepts temporary responsibility for care of a dog and exhibits basic attributes of ownership, is the keeper of the dog for purposes of secondary ownership under Minn. Stat. section 347.22 (2004), the dog-bite statute, and therefore cannot recover. Carlson v. Friday, 694 N.W.2d 828 (Minn.App. 2005).

Do not ever return to that groomer!! If it is a company I would complain to the owner. Shame on her for not understanding how afraid your 6 month old puppy was and shame on anyone that would hire someone like that to work with animals. My Sparty is very fearful about his nails and I have my vet trim them. He needs a muzzle when they do it but he is 12 and has never bit anyone, not my grandchildren or any other people he is around. Blaming it on the puppy would be like punishing a 1 year old child for biting someone that hurt them. They are not old enough to understand why it is happening. Keep trying to get him used to having his feet handled and find someone that is kind and good with dogs to trim his nails!

totally agree with those who've replied before me!

As Sam suggested, you may want to build your pup's tolerance of nail tools and just do one nail a day until he adjusts... I know that can be a slow tedious process but it is really the only way. If your pup is 6 months old now, he has a lto of growing to do still and as he gets bigger, it will only be harder to trim his nails so it's best to build the trust with him slowly now. My Ollie is terrible with nail time but we've gotten tot he point what he will tolerate it as long as I move quickly... here are some tips from my experience with him and past dogs (who were larger breeds and harder to keep still)

1. Just let the dremel buzz int he background while you do normal things without even going near him for a couple of days.. then put it near him off, then near him on -- let him sniff about and get used to it. Ollie is sort of a little person so I let him see me put it near me without my negative reaction and it helped pique his curiosity.

2. If you're nervous about his biting, you can purchase a soft muzzle to use during the process.. for just a few dollars, this will prevent any biting and loud lashing out.

3. A lot of people say to reward with treats during the process but this didn't work well for me.. Ollie associated treats with negative experiences and for a couple of weeks wouldn't take one from us. Because I use them for training, I didn't want to use them here so I used positive verbal reinforcement and petting more effectively.. you have to evaluate this for your own dog. 

4. Talk to a local trainer you trust.. they will have advice not just for tricks and obedience, but also managing your pet.. so if you need, schedule 30 mins with a trainer who can come and help you introduce the grooming tools/experience.

5. If you are nervous still, try going to your vet for the nail clipping.. I live in LA and my vet only charges $7 for nail trimming with Ollie.. on par with groomers (from my experience $5-10 usually) and at least I KNOW that my vet and his staff knows what they're doing.

6. Lastly, do you talk your dog a lot? Ollie is getting longer walks these days with the sunny weather and this helps keep his nails nice and trim :)

good luck!!!

Your groomer is in the wrong here. She should have taken proper precautions to prevent getting bit especially since you brought her in because you are having problems doing it yourself. Urinating is NOT an aggressive behavior it is a submissive behavior, excitement behavior, or a fear behavior. She likely urinated because she was scared, and she probably bit out of fear as well. I think its a good idea to have your vet clip your dogs nails and you can talk to the vet or the techs about her behavior as well. If they also get the impression that she is overly aggressive they can give you contact information for trainers and/or some paperwork for you to read. Since she is your first dog I would recommend an obedience class just so you can learn the best methods of providing discipline and leadership. And you are in no way liable for the bite, the minute you step onto her property all risk and liability is transferred to the groomer. I would speak to her supervisor, if she has one, and let her know what kind of employee is representing her business and that you will be taking your business elsewhere because of her obvious lack of education and experience.

Hi Melissa,

From what I understand, the moment where Chelsea is not liable is when the Groomer "took" the dog off her hands and entered into another room where Chelsea have no visual contact / control over her dog. MN dog bite law is one of the most favourable to dog bite victims.

CA Dog bite statute is also favourable to dog bite victims, know your rights, protect yourself.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service