I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to be as specific as possible

My wife and I have been contemplating getting a dog.  After doing some research, I think that a corgi might be just about perfect.  Neither of us has ever owned a dog before. I grew up around cats, while my wife's didn't have pets growing up but now her parents and sister both have dogs.

We're both in our early 30s and active, usually hiking. We have a small but well-fenced backyard that's mostly grass where a dog could run around (~50'x30'). I work a standard 8-6 job, my wife works from home 3 days a week, the other two days she's out until relatively late. This means that a dog would be left alone from 10 until 5 or 6. 

My wife wants a small dog, but in general, I find small dogs too hyperactive. The descriptions I've read of corgi seem like the personality is closer to medium sized dog than the typical small dog.

We're thinking of having a baby soon (1-2 yrs), so any dog would need to be good with small children.  

So now for the questions:

1)  Do you think a corgi is good for first time dog owners?  Any suggestions for different breeds that might be better suited for us?

2)  How are corgi's with being left alone?   Most of the time there would be someone home, but we would need to leave the dog alone 1-2 days a week. Does it make sense to get a pair?

3) How are corgi's as a lap/lounge dog?  Do they tend to sit on/next to you on the couch for example or are they more of a fall asleep at your feet?

4)  How should we get a corgi?  We don't have any interest in showing or breeding, we just want a healthy, well-mannered dog.  Looking at the shelters near us there seem to be few corgi's, and most are chihuahua mixes, which neither of us want.  

Views: 12339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with the advice you have received and would like to add that if you decide on 2 dogs do not get 2 puppies at once. Get one first and add the second at a later date when the first one is trained. If you decide on a corgi go through a rescue organization ( they will be able to evaluate your needs and tell you more about the dog ) or a good breeder. I agree with Beth, plan on spending more money up front. A good breeder will help you pick a puppy that will be a better match for your family and you have a much better chance of having a healthy puppy. Our "expensive" puppy cost us very little in vet bills and our two less expensive ones cost a fortune in vet bills so that over time we paid a lot more. I have had 2 corgis that would have been great for a first time dog owner and one that would have been a disaster. Plan on taking obedience classes, it really helps!! Good luck with your decision and know that you are already ahead of the game because you are doing research.
I highly recommend this website for honest and accurate breed reviews;

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/index.html
That's a real nice site thanks for the link.
I wouldn't totally throw out all small dogs. I personally HATED chihuahuas until I started working at a vet and was around them a lot more. They really are very loving, cuddly, smart, and friendly dogs. This goes for a lot of small dogs. The reason a lot of them have a bad rap is because their owners do not treat them like dogs so they get away with a lot of bad behaviors a medium or large dog would never be permitted to do. My very first dog growing up was a 20 pound mutt. I'd say in your situation it would be a good idea to check out local shelters, meet a few of the smaller dogs and see if any of them are right for you. Its one of those things that you go to the shelter and see "the one" and you just have to have it. I agree with what a lot of other posters have said, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my corgi to bits and now he is the greatest dog in the world, BUT as puppy he was a train wreck. He was a VERY hard dog to train in the beginning and I've had  A LOT of dog training experience. If you do decide to go with a corgi, it will definitely entertain you all day every day, but be prepared to invest MAJOR money in dog training classes. Don't try to do it yourself, especially since you've never had a dog before. Read lots of books, websites, watch videos, talk to trainers, etc. They really are awesome little dogs but you will have your hands full for the first couple of years trying to get them trained and mellowed out.

I'm gonna have to disagree on the small dogs.  :-)

Most small/toy breeds were either always bred primarily as pets/companion dogs or are some sort of terriers.  Terriers are, well, terriers and you either love 'em or you don't.  Terriers have very distinctive traits and are not suitable for many owners.  

Many of the large and medium breeds were originally bred for a task, and while they may not have performed that task for some time, they still retain characteristics of it.  Because they were bred for a task, they require a certain level of focus and/or drive and/or trainability.  Small breeds are often selected for generations on primarily one factor:  cuteness.  

I've known many relatively well-trained well-socialized small dogs, and there are very very few small-dog breeds that I would ever consider owning.

Moreover they are not good hiking companions because, frankly, there are too many things out there bigger than them.  A coyote will take a small dog.  A raccoon might too.  And for the tiny toys, even a hawk is a threat.  

If I could only live somewhere that allowed pets under 15 or 20 pounds, I'd probably just stick with cats.  

I wanted to add one last thought:  Corgis are fantastic dogs for people who like to be active with their dogs.  If your vision of a great dog is one who you take for long walks every day (rain or shine) and spend some quality time playing and like to spend several days a week (for an adult) and some time every day (for a puppy) working on training time, then a Corgi is a great dog, whether you are experienced as a dog owner or not.

If your vision of a perfect dog is one who gets potty breaks every day and goes for a few walks a week when the weather is nice, and spends lots of time laying at your feet and maybe plays fetch for a little while on a Saturday afternoon, then that is great and there are dogs out there who would LOVE that life too--- but probably those dogs are not Corgis.  :-)  

Corgis are not the easiest breed in that they are smart enough to know when you're not in charge, and they can be willful and obstinate.  But there are many, many breeds out there that are tougher.  For my Corgi, challenging me means standing there barking or ignoring me.  For my parents' Chessie, challenging an owner means growls and lunges, and certainly Chessies aren't the only breed with those tendencies.  

I love my Corgis and would not want another breed.  :-)   

Wow! Thanks for all the replies certainly a lot to consider here. One thing I just realized I forgot to ask.

How do corgis handle stairs? We have a two story house and is that going to be a lot of stress on their back?
They'll do just fine, however, you want to make sure that they don't jump down, especially the last 2-3 steps, avoid jumping / landing on hard surfaces before the age of 1. Always keep them at optimal weight.
Going down seems more dangerous than going up. Our wooden basement stairs have nonskid sand in the paint. If you have smooth slippery floors, you'll want nonskid throw-rugs for landing and takeoff zones around beds/furniture, eventually maybe a ramp for an older dog. Discourage leaps off furniture, esp. for puppies under 1 y.o. (growth plate injuries in wrists are serious). We have a basement and main floor; the dogs don't go into the basement much; 5 steps out the door. By middle age, add the glucosamine/MSM supplements for cartilage health, might help, can't hurt.

We have a 3 story house and our 10 1/2 month old corgi handles the stairs just fine.  She takes them 2 at a time when she's running up, and bunny hops down them.  no worries.

They do fine....and it's cute to see their little bunny butts hopping up them...

I agree with what people have said. I do believe my males are the calmer of my Corgis. Wynn was my 1st and best corgi I have. My husband was very sceptical but now loves them too. Training, firm but gentle is a must. A fence is great and you will want to socialize especially with babies and young children too so that your corgi gets used to babies:)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service