I've had Corgis my whole life and that's a lot of years. Corgis are working dogs that need meaningful activity and discipline. The time to start training is when your baby Corgi comes home. Corgis are very smart and they will be a step ahead of you, if you let them. DON'T let them. They love to know the rules, work hard and be praised. The earlier you start lovingly training your puppy, the more rewards you will have later with your adult Corgi who listens for your command and happily performs it. A rescue dog needs the same training, but first needs to trust its new family. Knowing that your rescue is experiencing a hard transition will hopefully make you more patient and compassionate. Be loving and earn the trust of your rescue. But whether a puppy or a rescue, train your Corgi well and as early as you can. Every Corgi and owner thrive through combined work and effort.

Views: 1394

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Coons, badgers, coyotes, cougers and porcupines - take your pick! Then there are the bunnies, deer and sage rats. I've never seen coons on this side of the road (kinda like the rattlers that I was pretending only lived on the other side) but my real guess for the melon thief is the coon or badger. I know the badgers have been down at the pole barn and down the road in the back (maybe they needed something to show them how to dig a perfectly round hole HAHAHA!)
I did see my three boys herding a porcupine down our hillside. They kept their distance, thank heavens, but the porkie ambled along and when i got close to them all (becasue I was worried, of course) I could hear that porkie mumbling and grumbling to himself. He sounded like an old man and when he got to the creek, he jumped into a big oak tree and climbed to the top. He jumped at least 3 feet up the trunk, too. Very surprising.

Re; the original subject--after a lifetime of corgis, I finally have a puppy who is NOT a rascal but sort of an old soul already. Very smart, sweet and affectionate and sort of solemn. All the others have been puppish and into everything.
@ Vee Luther - Want to swap?
Well....I can knit and crochet but I love to make stained glass.... haven't for over a year but I have a corgi project in mind....but everytime I go get glass I always spend over $100. I need to make myself another one though as I usually make them for presents! Sage is being a little devil still too...chewed a 4" hole in my boxspring yesterday and will leave a surprise package in my living room occasionally! It's not raining here!~!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hmmm. Sure has been lots of mischief lately!!!
I think someone here has hit the adolescence stage...we'll see how classes go next week!!!!!! She has decided that sit means stand and look at me, wait means when I turn and walk ahead that she follows after I turn. Little devil/angel! right now she's an angel sleeping by my feet!
We are definitely smack in the middle of adolescence. What happened to my loving, reasonably docile, reasonably obedient puppy? Rufus is now trying to herd me down the stairs, is chewing anything that crosses his path, even though it looks like all adult teeth are in, has decided that "I want to play" is to be communicated by eardrum assaulting barking and is generally looking for mischief all the time. We've got obedience training coming up, but I think maybe he needs to go to boarding obedience school;) Or boot camp.
Just spent the afternoon at parks and yes...Sage now has a voice!!!!!!!
MILITARY SCHOOL. LOL.
Lily is going too...she just chewed my chair...MILITARY SCHOOL, YES!
back from a terrible 4 days away, I don't know how the corgis behaved, the pee towels are piled high! It sounds like nothing new here! I got a little scared when I went to one comment and it had been deleted - I thought that maybe Wendy had decided to give up on Rafa and corgis altogeter!! I do see that you are trying to swap puppies, Wendy! Lucky is doing the "I will do the opposite of what you ask trick" as well. Do you think that there is something in the air?
oh no, carol. i often delete my comments. i didn't even realize that when i delete a comment it shows up to members. sometimes i just think better of something i wrote...or sometimes i jump in with a comment and the next day realize that i don't want to be a part of the discussion. sometimes just to correct spelling/grammar. in fact, i just deleted this bec. i accidentally wrote the same thing twice.

i should have added, hahaha, or LOL after let's swap. clearly, i was joking. i love this crazy dog. it'd take a lot more than puppy mischief to make me ever give up on any animal. venting on mycorgi.com helps get out frustration. it's also been a lot of fun reading about all the other corgi antics out there. MILITARY SCHOOL! My husband, Jack, is convinced that Rafa is a reincarnation of Rookie, our beloved corgi from '70's. (you can check him out on my corgis remembered group, if/when you have time). He was a red and white w. a sable head, and filled with corgi joy; loved nothing more than acting out. he would fence run with my next door neighbor's dog for hours, barking, if i let him. he was a big corgi, and the only way i could get him in the house was to lift his muddy body and carry him in. back then, when i was tiny, he was almost half my weight. he would never come when called. our pool was unfenced (no kids yet) and every time the temp. hit 70º he'd dive into the pool for a swim. then he'd shake off and run in the back and get covered with mud. if he wanted to come in, but the mud was still wet, i'd tell him to wait. then he'd hurl himself into my dining room/living room, floor-to-ceiling window. it felt like an earthquake. yet, he was one of my most loved corgis. we've never been close to giving up on Rafa. I adore this goofy guy. so please don't worry. thanks for sharing your concern. i often forget how easy it is to read something into emails and postings & how important it is to write, j/k (just kidding), or a wink ; )

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service