Hi Everyone.

This past week, Jackson's little brother, Kirby (tibetan spaniel mix) passed away from ingesting a seed left behind by the Sago Palm Tree. Sweet Kirby was only 1 years old and was the sweetest dog ever.

If you are not already aware about the Sago Palm Tree, every part of the palm tree is toxic to all pets and children.

Please take your time to read up on the plant and if you are a pet owner, barricade/remove it from possible exposure to your four legged loved ones.

Here is an excerpt

"Poisoning cases from a toxic plant called the sago palm are appearing across the United States because the plant most commonly seen in southern states is now sold in big box stores and gardening shops nationwide.

A pet can die within hours of ingesting the plant.

“It used to be that we only got calls from places like Texas, Florida and California, but about three years ago we started seeing cases pop up other places. The dog would eat the plant they just bought, owners would bring dog in, and the veterinarian would say ‘I've never seen this plant before.’ They would e-mail photos to us,” says Tina Wismer, DVM, ABT, ABVT of the ASPCA Poison Control Center and a Veterinary Information Network (VIN) toxicology consultant.

No statistics are available on the perceived rise in poisoning incidents. Wismer attributes the increase not only to the plant's widening regional availability but also to the public's growing awareness of the plant’s toxicity.

The sago palm is a cycad and contains cycasin. Even very young plants are toxic enough to cause death in animals. Dogs and cats are susceptible, as are horses, cows and people. The seeds are the most toxic component.

Clinical signs include vomiting, melena, icterus, increased thirst, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, bruising, coagulopathy, liver damage, liver failure and death.

“The death rate is about 30 percent, although that includes euthanizing due to lack of money for treatment,” Wismer says. “If we can get them before they go into liver failure, start them on liver protectants and give activated charcoal, they'll have a much better prognosis.”

The entire plant is covered with razor-sharp spikes and sold as potted houseplants at such stores as IKEA, Target and Lowe’s. It can reach nearly 30 feet in height. Some owners believe that the spikes will deter pets from eating the plant, but that's not always the case. Wismer notes that some dogs will eat anything. "

Hopefully, Kirby's sacrifice will be enough to save your friend's life from this awful plant.

Views: 551

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what it is to loose a young dog.

This plant should be banned. I don't understand why its being sold?
Thank you so much. My girlfriend and I are still mourning our loss but we know that Kirby's sacrifice saved Jackson and Max's life from the plant as we are having that plant removed asap.
Great post Gary, so sorry for your loss :( I have one in my front yard :p
have to trim it a few times a year and those spikes are nasty, they go right through your tevas.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center estimates a fatality rate of 50 to 75 percent when ingestion of the Sago Palm is involved. The incidence of Sago Palm ingestion by pets has risen by over 200% in the last five years.

Thank You Sam!! I had a couple of the varities in my home that are in this video, They have been removed now though, I think Teagen had gotten into 1 of them because 6 months ago she had a hard morning vomiting black goo and shaking alot but she got better after a couple of hours so we never went to the vet..but I always wondered what had brought that episode on.
So sorry for your loss!
i am so sorry for your loss:'( thank you for the info, i will be sure to be on the look out for this if my husbands job require us to move to the south again
So sorry for your loss of such a young guy! Thanks for trying to help others.
I'm so sorry. My heart breaks for you. Thank you for sharing this information.
I am so sorry to read this! Although I don't think they have "razor-sharp spikes", I'm pretty sure we have 2 of these in our yard. THANK YOU for posting this! Out they go...Isabella eats everything in the yard! YIKES.
Thank you everyone for your condolences.

Molly and Isabella, my girlfriend and I are glad that you are aware of the dangers of this plant.
Im so sorry to hear about your loss. :(
So sorry for your loss...


Rescue Store

Stay Connected


FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...



© 2023   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service