UPDATE: What are things you wish you had known about Corgis before you got one?

I am wanting to start a blog about responsible dog ownership.  I talk a lot about responsible dog ownership on Reddit and I find myself writing the same things over and over.  It will be easier and more thorough for me to write a blog that I can reference!  

For one of my posts, I want to write an overview on owning Corgis for those thinking about adopting.  Our midget pals are growing more popular with the Royal Wedding and all that, and as you know, Corgis really aren't for everyone.  If I can prepare future owners for the task they face, I can go to sleep a happy owner.

So, what are things you wish you knew about Corgis before bringing one home?  Anything.  Temperament issues, health issues... whatever! 

UPDATE: Since this thread was resurrected, thought I would put a link to the finished product: Own Responsibly: The Comprehensive Corgi Guide- A Resource for New ...

Views: 4627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@Stacy - Jack was walking Lucy when she pulled the "I'm done" stuff. A woman walking by took one look at Lucy and said, "I'M NOT TAKING ANOTHER STEP."
I wish I had known about their health issues, i.e. the back and becoming overweight so easy.  I have Solomon at work with me today and my co-workers are trying to make me feel bad because I won't give Solomon part of my lunch.  I explained that he eats once a day at dinner time.  He get 1 1/2 cups of TOTW and 1/2 cup of veggies.  Thats it.  So they say that the "poor fellow" is starving!  I overfed Chloe and she was overweight when she died and developed major back issues and I will not make that mistake with Solomon.  Not saying I would not have gotten a corgi, but I would have done my research and become a responsible corgi owner like I am with Solomon.
oh man i know how you feel about the food when I adopted my dog Valentine i thought the vet I adopted her from was nuts when he told me to only feed her 1 cup of food a day :( but now I understand and she is so healthy thank goodness :) if it wasn't for getting her from the vet I probably would have not known and fed her alot OH My!!!!
My husband is constantly accusing me of starving poor Frosty because he only gets 2 cups a day.  But he is in perfect shape and I want him to stay that way!
Both my girls get 1 cup of wellness core a day total, but I spread it out Breakfast, lunch, dinner (1/3 cup, 3 feedings).
I know in the end it is still only 1 cup, but it makes me feel better to spread it out. My vet loves how trim the girls are, but we have to weigh my oldest (Roslyn) monthly as she has a hard time keeping weight on due to constant running. So her feedings fluctuate a tiny bit to keep her at 20 pounds.
I wish I had know that they never feel ashamed or sorry for anything!  No matter how angry I am or what the discipline is that we choose to use, Frosty just looks at us with big smile face, laying on his back, wagging his tail and as soon as I turn around he is off doing whatever naughty behavior again.  So frustrating!  lol!  Completely unrepentant about what they choose to do.  Although on the other hand, it is pretty awesome having a dog that never gets angry, upset, afraid and is just happy-go-lucky no matter how disgusted you are that he ate a 5-hour energy, half your computer equipment and shredded aluminum pop cans all over your living room lol!!!
I agree with this, especially while Franklin was a puppy. For me it felt more like he just didn't (or didn't want to?) associate the "punishment with the crime", if you will. I had SUCH a hard time with some of his puppy training issues because  he just didn't get it, or decided to ignore me. BUT on the other hand, once he got it, he got it. He is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SMART. This can be a bad thing for a first time dog owner. I've had several dogs including german shepherds which can be very difficult so I was prepared when I brought Frank home. I think you can't stress enough the importance of obedience training. Many people don't realize how easy it is to "mess up" a corgi until its too late.
I agree.  Ever since I got Frosty and took him to obedience class, that is my recommendation for everyone that has any problems with their dog.  Amazing what one class can do for making you and your dog work as a team!

Degenerative Myelopathy, and health testing in general. Barking. Shedding. Being too smart for their own good. lol

I thought this post was pretty good myself:

http://blacksheepcardigans.com/ruff/general/dont-buy-a-corgi/

Every corgi should come with a FURminator... and a roomba.

Yes! I got a FURminator for Coby the Corgi!
oh my gosh, I just read that.  I have an ANGEL!   She rarely barks and only herds me at the park when I play 'runaway sheep'.  haha.  But it's good to know it's in their nature and she's not just being spiteful.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service