UPDATE: What are things you wish you had known about Corgis before you got one?

I am wanting to start a blog about responsible dog ownership.  I talk a lot about responsible dog ownership on Reddit and I find myself writing the same things over and over.  It will be easier and more thorough for me to write a blog that I can reference!  

For one of my posts, I want to write an overview on owning Corgis for those thinking about adopting.  Our midget pals are growing more popular with the Royal Wedding and all that, and as you know, Corgis really aren't for everyone.  If I can prepare future owners for the task they face, I can go to sleep a happy owner.

So, what are things you wish you knew about Corgis before bringing one home?  Anything.  Temperament issues, health issues... whatever! 

UPDATE: Since this thread was resurrected, thought I would put a link to the finished product: Own Responsibly: The Comprehensive Corgi Guide- A Resource for New ...

Views: 4627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really must differ with many of you. I confess I don't find the corgi especially stubborn. Maybe because of my years of beagle life :)

What did surprise me was how SMART they are. Scary smart! Again, probably because of my years of beagle life. I never met a really smart dog before. Maybe the trick is that through learning to train a hound I just took the stubbornness in stride, but the corgi was smart enough to catch on :D

I agree, smart is one thing but scary smart is another.  I describe it as.... When there is a  noise, like an airplane going over head, some dogs will look some don't even acknowledge the fact.  But a Corgi will watch it until it is out of sight like he fascinated with flight.

Oh I forgot, their sense of smell is incredible!  It's like should have a sub classification as a ratter.

When i first got carly whos1.5 yrs.i was so overwhelmed, so clue less about how to make her obey  and i have had dachshunds , (not a real bright animal) wondering if id ever learn how to out smart her... still not sure that i have but at least now she obeys me most of the time...She is a very stubborn and very smart girl :/

Frankie whos about to be 6months takes the cake ..he can out smart her ...plays trick on her and knows just how to get her half way across the yd running full on before he cuts the other way and hides under something i laugh my butt off watching them!!

I can completely relate!  I also had a Beagle mix before our Corgi and what took my Beagle week(s) to learn, my Corgi leaned in an hour :)

I was told that corgis shed alot, but either mine sheds excessively, or the people who have them that forwarned me didn't make it seem like it was as bad as it is. Since I got Archie a year ago, it hasn't stopped. I brush, furminate, bathe, have and use one of those high pressure doggie blow dryers, and it hasn't even let up a little. It's a ton and its constant. I also have been using that linatone shed relief for 6 months, with no change..

Cooperative mischief.  

My boss's dog does not care about food and never pulls things down from the countertops for herself.  In comes my corgi.  I have watched him get her attention, tell her there's a sandwich on the counter, and then turns to give me a big grin while she knocks the sandwich down for him.  Then she sits and watches him start to chow down (at this point I rescue the sandwich).

Moral of the story:  if you have a corgi, desirable items are only safe if beyond the reach of the tallest available accomplice.

OMG!!  I have a German Shepherd mix, and Seanna talks her in to getting things off the counter for her!  Sage gets it off, and then Seanna eats it!!  That is so funny...I kept thinking that's what was going on, but now I know for sure.  Just the other day they got Seanna's new prescription food OUT of the 40 pound tupperware container, and Seanna literally gained two pounds from it and had diarrhea for two days.  Sage, of course, was just fine.  They are best friends, and now I know why--Sage is Seanna's legs.
hahaha. i have lucy, a petite "typey" corgi, and then my rescue, ricky-rafa, who's a bit high in the leg. he can "counter cruise w/o any help!" grrrrr. i can't tell you how frustrating it is when i'm starving and make a special lunch for ME, toast browned to perfection...
@ rebeca - loved your story.  i've read members that think getting litter mates is not a great idea bec. the pups bond with each other and not the family. we never had that problem w. litter mates. the biggest problem we had was trying to train them without the other promoting mischief and mayhem! BTW, re. bonding: at our trainers recommendation, we always had the pups sleep crated with our kids.
You crate your children?
I think they're called cribs these days.
we were free range children

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service