Hi

I need advise. I recently moved to Ny from PA about a month ago. My Corgie Molly has never been in the city. She always lived in Pa. She is 3yrs old.  She is so afraid to be outside. When I take her to outside she starts to shake try to run away or will try to hide behind me or my other dog when she is been walked. She is afraid of people and the every day noise of outside living. She wants to go outside she gets really exited when she sees the leash but once we are out its a different story. She cannot enjoy her walks. Her brother Bailey has adjusted very well. Its very sad & frustrating to see this type of behavior. I dont know what to do to make it better for her. This is a dog that loves the outside & loves going for walks. Last week I took her back to PA and she was so happy running around & rolling on the grass. I really feel bad that she is not happy in Ny. I try to walk her late in the evening & early morning when their isn't much going on.t helps a little but not much. I want my baby to be happy and enjoy her walks. Does anyone have any advise. Giving up my corgie or sending her to Pa is not an option.

Thanks Maritza

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you live near a park or other area that might feel more like "home" for her?  It might be worth taking her for walks or visits there and gradually moving to noisier/busier areas.  I would also recommend seeing a trainer for either obedience/social classes or one-on-one training.  She might just need longer to adjust to the change in her surroundings.
We are having a similar issue with our little Ein. We adopted him last week from a breeder out in the middle of the desert. He had plenty of room to run and play with his fellow kennel mates and our current home is in a third floor condo complex where he is the only dog and it is right next to multiple busy streets and shopping malls. It has been quite a change for him and he is showing some signs of depression because if it. Just like your little one he is becoming fearful of noises outside and even refusing to walk if there is another person on the street. I just took him to the vet today to get a basic physical and the vet said everything my little guy was doing is very common and he just needed to find some stability again. Jen & Yuki brought up some good ideas about parks and obedience/social classes. That is what we are going to try with Ein. I'm also sure walking with your other dog will help him feel more secure as well. Our vet said with some time to adjust and lots of patience Ein would be back to himself. Best of luck to you!
Maybe with all the changes from the move and new environs and all, she just needs to readjust and renew her faith in you to keep her safe.  I'm sure she will adapt in short order as soon as she realizes you are in control of the situation, all is good, and she is safe.  Maybe take her out more frequently for short walks, with and without Bailey, while giving her lots of praise and love? 

OMG, this would be a perfect opportunity for Cesar Milan!!!!!   I want to see a corgi on Cesar!!!  Call or do a video and send it in so he can come help!!!!

Will she take a treat while you walk or is she too stressed?
I consider corgis to be dogs that tend to "over think" things. The best way to deal with it is to be calm and just keep moving. If she will take treats occasionally stop and give them out. Gradually treat her when you are in a busy noisy place. Classes will help build her confidence in you. Mine have always gone through varies stages where they decide something is the "Boogey Man" and they all get over it with a little (or a lot) of work. Just showing her that it is no big deal and not babying her when she balks will help.
It's a desentization issue, you know.  And if you react to her timidity with comforting, "poor baby" stuff, it will reinforce the behavior. Bev is right. Keep the walks short but FREQUENT if you can and get the walk time to add up to that magic 45  minutes.   Keep moving. I'd ignore her behavior and focus on getting her to walk forward and with me, no matter what.  And just keep at it. And give her treats when she keeps up with you in a brisk, no nonsense walk.   This is most likely sort of a phase that she's going through and you don't want her to get stuck in it!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service