Hi
I was wondering how old do Corgi's live and do they get joint problems?I was told when I got Holly that she would develop joint problems as her feet turn out.

Lisa

Views: 8996

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have read 12-14 years too but recently there was a dog on here that lived till 22! I think GSD also have lots of hip problems so that might be a factor for Holly. Like someone said on here b/4 genetics,food,exercise,weight and general care are all factors!
I have known a corgi to live as long as 22. On average I have read anything from 10-15 years is normal. I don't know about joint, but I know my dog has had ligament issues in her hind leg since she was 7 or 8 months old. She is on Glucosamine for it. I do not see this as an issue with respect to shortening her life, but it will be a quality of life issue later on. That is why I am so protective of her now. She gets suppliments and I watch her activity levels and I notice when she has a little bit of a limp. But I would consult a vet if you are worried about it. I have never heard of corgi's having joint issues because of the out-turning of their paws, but then again I have a Cardi....
Oh you can also try contacting other breeders to ask their opinion. My breeder is always willing to answer a question I have, no matter how odd. Ask around!
I have heard the 10 to 15 years. Any dwarf breed will be prone to some joint issues but that doesn't mean your dog will have them. Weight is a very big factor in the longevity as well as activity. The turned out feet could present problems later for her so I would try to keep her in good shape and not encourage excessive jumping. We had a standard poodle live past 18 so They can beat the odds but as with people it probably has a lot to do with genetics as well as environment.
When I was concerned about joint problems (Didi shows some signs of hip dysplasia) the vet told me that above all, above ideas of surgery, above supplements, above EVERYTHING that it would be FUNDAMENTAL that I keep her weight under control. And not under control, she has 1-2 pounds she could lose under control. Fighting fit, under control. I don't know if this would be the case with your dog, but that's what I was told.

On how long corgis live...
I met a corgi who was 17 years old the other day. The guy whose dog it was said it was a blessing and a curse. You get to have them a long time, but then you get even longer to love them before you lose them. He'd had this dog since he was 15.
I've heard mixed things about turned out feet causing joint issues. This alone cannot cause a problem as Cardigans have turned out feet much like a Basset and all Cardigans and Bassets do not have problems. It may depend on how much they turn out. You can ask your vet but be aware that not all vets are knowledgeable in this area and I have heard of some wanting to do major surgery to correct the turn out even when this characteristic is typical for the breed and is not considered a problem.
The way Holly looks to me indicates that she probably does have some growth plate issues. Cardigans are supposed to have feet that turn out VERY SLIGHTLY (as are Bassets) but if they have excessive turnout they do get arthritic.

The way the dwarfism gene works is to change the way the bone and cartilage grows and also make the growth plates in the legs very thin and brittle. If the growth plate is injured when the dog is a puppy, the wrists knuckle over and the feet turn sharply to the side. Even the dog avoids injury, the cartilage and cushioning around the bone also age rapidly and crack easily. That's why it's so important to work for a proper front in the Cardis, where the front feet support the weight of the shoulders but do not flatten or knuckle over or to the side. They're a lot less likely to injure themselves if the front is good. Kennedy is rather famous for his lovely front and is a great example of what we're trying to get.

The average age of death for Pems is around 13. Cardigans are roughly the same, perhaps slightly older because they have fewer back issues. Lisa, if you notice that Holly has pain you can supplement with a good joint mixture - I use Total Joint Care for horses, because it's very close to Glyco-Flex for dogs at a fraction of the price. I just give a tenth of a scoop instead of the horse dose which is a whole scoop. You can also give salmon oil or another omega-3 supplement. Because Holly is a shepherd mix, her lifespan probably won't be as long as a Pem's, but there's no reason to think she won't live to 10+. She's a lovely dog and I hope you have a LOT of fun with her.
Exactly, that is why I mentioned that the degree of turnout could be a determining factor. It's important for the owners of a dwarf breed to be educated on such topics because not all vets have had much experience with them. That is one thing our breeder warned us about from the beginning. He said he's seen too many vets suggest reconstructive surgery to fix a problem that wasn't there. He told us if a vet ever suggests surgery to contact him first.

We have our Cardi on joint supplements as well. He takes 21st Century K-9 Maximum Joint Formula. It's not the most expensive one, but it's not the cheapest either and it has a lot of great stuff in it such as Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin, Omega 3 & 6 and vitamin C.

Kennedy is a beautiful Cardi by the way. :)
Our beloved Tedi Bear had a bad shoulder. We started him on Glucosmaine and Chondroitin. Bought them at Petco, Pet Naturals of Vermont Hip + Joint formula. He just thought they were a "goodie" but if he ran out he would start limping again. Even though he is gone now we have Samantha who is 8 months old and we have started her on them as a preventative. As Linda Moore wrote genetics, diet, exercise and good medical care are key to this. Also be careful how you pick up a corgi, try to keep them from getting down from anything to high (injury). Sami also gets a little "nanner" every morning as well as cottage cheese only a teaspoon or so and when I remember a couple teaspoons of yogurt. She does like the flavored yogurt, banana or peach.
Finnigan loves bananas too and oranges. :)
Once I have paid off most of my debt which I have plans to do and things budgeted, I think Mattie is going to go to my chiropractor atleast once a month or every other month. She doesn't have any joint problems yet and is only 2 so I'm not that much in a hurry, but he treats animals and I think if you could get them on a chiropractic regimine it should help with the bone and joint problems. Maybe even avoid them.
I've read here that the turn out of the foot can be a problem. The picture of Kennedy shows beautiful feet and legs. They look like my Pem's legs. My question is, can you see how far the feet will be turned out in a puppy? If I am looking at a Cardi (or Pem) pup, is this something I can judge? Or is it something that shows up later? It would be great if one could tell ahead of time if the dog would have this issue by examining him as a puppy.

My Pem doesn't have this problem, but I am interested in having a Cardi someday. I am eager to learn about choosing a healthy puppy from this breed as well. Am I correct in my understanding from this conversation that Cardi's are more prone to this?

Having replaced two knees on a Springer Spaniel due to Irrational Exuberance, I would very much like to avoid any more knee/leg surgery in the future. I tell you, those, ESS's are NUTS!

Julia
When my female corgi passed 4/09, she was 15. It was simply old age, bladder issues, belabored breathing, etc. Both she (during her older years) and now my 8 yr old male, Parker take a glucosamine/condrotin tab once a day with dinner. The vet said this would help the stiffness in his joints. Which it has! he is as bouncy and quick as ever. After a fun day at the park or running and swimming alot, I've noticed he may be a bit 'gimpy' the next day - (so am I, though) - so I give him a small baby aspirin once and awhile.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service