i have been trying a couple of the brands of dog food on Carly that have been suggested on this site ,  for about three days now, and shes had bouts of diarrhea...

Could it be its too rich for Carly...Taste of the wild and merricks turducken..

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Changing foods too quickly for some dogs can cause this. Try to make the change more gradually. It could also be too rich. One of our dogs does better on a bland dog food. It is just trail and error really..
 Bev is correct in that food should be changed over the coarse of 10-14 days...it can definately cause diarrhea and stomach upset if you don't. I use Taste of the Wild because it is an all life stages and so my pups and oldsters can all eat this. I think it's great! Depending on how old Carly is you will want to watch the protein level as my young ones get the salmon as it is lower in protien. There are many dog food discussions and info you can look back on!!!!

I agree that changes should be made over a week or preferably two.  If you have changed more quickly, you might try backing off and introducing more slowly.

If you have already done this and the food still bothers her, you might try a traditional (grain) kibble.  We use Iam's, if you are looking for "higher-end" Blue Buffalo and Wellnes (not the Core, the regular Wellness) both make a traditional kibble.   We've had a few posters whose dogs did not do well on grain-free, and others whose dogs thrive on it.  

how quickly did you change her food? These both are high protein foods and if she went from a lower quality/low protein food the process of changing her food should take at least 2 weeks.If you changed it in a matter of days then GI upset will be normal. You can try mixing in some steamed white rice. Or buy a small bag of your old food and go back to it until her poops are normal then start SLOWLY (no more than 1/4 new, and 3/4 old for 3 or 4 days then slowly increase). When I change foods I do it gradually, by only doing about 1/8th new and taking 2 to 3 weeks to do it. Better to take your time and have no diarrhea than rush it and have lots of messes to clean up!

Yep, I change a tablespoon at a time.  Day 1, AM normal food, PM remove 1 TBSP of old food and add 1 TBSP new food.  

Day 2,  AM add one TBSP of new food, PM same as day before. 

Day 3,  AM 1 TBSP new food, PM 2 TBSP new food.

When I reach half and half, I keep it that way for a week, then gradually decrease til I'm down to none of the old food at all. 

With the cat (dry food) I change even slower, though her canned food we switch up all the time.

Thanks every one, i went and bought a bag of the eukanuba so i could start over giving her small amounts like you said ...im sure i rushed it a bit..

I think she may eat to many treats as well.. i bought some natural choice crunchy treats with blueberries..

and give them to her in her red ball..

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service