So, my 1yr old corgi Lucy is a sweet heart.  The only problem is my family and I are trapped by baby gates. We give her lots of toys, bones and treats but she loves shoes, socks and pretty much anything that is left on the floor.  My kids can't keep their bedroom doors open or its a free for all.  So there is a baby gate up to keep Lucy from that part of the house.  We live in a split level house so there is a baby gate to block off the down stairs all together because she just can't be trusted. She really can't be left alone for any amount of time with out her getting into something.  She even picks big holes in the carpet, which has sent my husband over the edge. Of course she barks at everything.  We put her outside and she barks and chases cars or anything else that passes by.  I know my neighbors just loves us.  We try to take her for walks but she pulls so hard that she sounds like she choking.  Company comes over and its none stop barking and jumping up on everyone.  I don't know what I'm going to do this Halloween for Trick or Treaters.  We've never taken her to "doggy school"  and at this point I'm not sure if it will help.  Maybe I need the help to help her.  I LOVE my crazy girl and wouldn't take anything for her I just need to know what and how to help her.  Any suggestions or any one feel my pain!!!!

Views: 1180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always think the classes were more about training me. Once I learned to change Sparty became such a good dog! Also, it does sound like you have one of those high energy corgis (I have one) and increasing the exercise will really help. They are like children; positive discipline, exercise, and appropriate play areas = good puppy/child!
Everyone gave awesome advise, here's another one: Shop for a great trainer! Just like you did for your kids, great school / teacher makes a difference, don't just enrol your dog to a class, not all classes / trainers are created equal. Observe several and go from there. Remember the true magic happens at home, daily 15 min practice with your dog.
OH MY do I feel you pain lol Zmy puppy Zeus is 10 months and he is a nut also, I even took him to training classes, but he only behaves when he wants to ha ha, I think its the age they will calm down closer to 2 :) or we can hope right? lol x 1000 . Luckily Zeus is crate trained and I can put him up if we have company or I need to do something and can't give him my full attention, thank goodness for that crate, good luck to you  

Just a quick update about Lucy.  We have recently fenced in our back yard so she has a little more freedom to run.  Training classes are going well.  She's smarter then I've given her credit for.  Learning loose lesh walking is slowly coming but she is getting it.  Just making small adjustments here and there and making her work for everything she gets is really paying off.  We might make it through this after all.  Thanks for all the support and advice.

Good for you Amy for putting in the time and effort!

Very nice!

I loved reading all the advice, cause it helps everyone when we share.  I have a chuckit stick and my corgis have to fetch every day...although I really have been thinking about a treadmill for them.  I have baby gates still.  Although mine are the cheap wood ones, installed with hinges, and a spring, so they swing open and shut.  I also have hooks and eyes to lock them.  It isnt so much the corgis, but my min pins that are bad.  I also have a cheap wood screen door installed on my bedroom door with spring hinges so it swings shut. That is mostly to keep the cats and hairballs off my new bedroom furniture.  So yea, my house is pet proofed. 

We also love the chuckits...we buy the rubber balls and that is what Livvy needs several times a day to keep her happy. You do have to start out slow though!

I love MyCorgi because so many people have advice for the discussion topics!
And chuckits are the best!

Given the chance to do it over again, I would be much more disciplined and deliberate about training.  I'd keep a logbook, calendar, plan my work and work my plan.  I'd write out the whole vocabulary, make sure the whole family was with the program, on the same page, using EXACTLY the same commands.

I don't know much, but I did realize that I'm not training the dog, I'm training myself.  For example, my dog won't learn "Stay" if I don't learn to pay attention, and remember to enforce it; I'd forget to release the dog, who immediately learned that she only had to obey until my attention wandered).

Get little tiny training treats, keep in a pill bottle in your dogwalking fannypack.  Make sure training is fun, a game, for you, dog, and kids.  Work on it every day.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service