Florida corgi VS Toronto Raccoon

I have a stubborn raccoon that camps out on my 2nd floor balcony, it keeps coming back every other night and causing the corgis to bark in the middle of the night. I had a talk with the condo management and they said animal control will not come out, the only thing they suggested was pouring "bleach" around the balcony. The balcony have no trash, food or plants, so most of the internet suggestions do not apply to my situation. 

Vienna: "Open the gate dad, it's an oversize squirrel!" 

The racoon is quite bold, it will not back off, when I use a broom to "sweep" him off, it growls and hold his ground. The corgis can bark all night long and he will not move an inch away from the sliding door. The only thing that "worked" so far is a water squirting bottle, it'll move but only to crawl to my next door neighbour's balcony.

Notice how FAT this raccoon is?

When the "coast" is cleared, he'll climb back :(

Raccoon: "curse you! I shall return!"

Any ideas?

OCT 2 *UPDATE*

"Randy" the raccoon crossed the rainbow bridge tonight, he was hit by a car earlier this evening, I picked up his body and lay him on the sidewalk :( 

Views: 4114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@Rebecca - We have real hawks and they don't seem to scare the squirrels or raccoons. Does the statue work for you? Also re. moth balls. How do you set it up so that your other pets don't get to the moth balls?
I was wondering about the moth balls too...aren't they extremely poisonious?????
Do not use moth balls, i just found out they are toxic.

I should of looked it up before i posted. Sorry, i should know better, i usally look this stuff up before posting. Yes moth balls are toxic. Do not want other animals getting into that.

Interesting, I was walking outside and noticed several neighbours have invested in owls / hawks statues on their balcony, i thought it was preventing pigeons from fly by pooping..... hmmm
We've had real owls & hawks waiting on tennis court lights to nab the squirrels and raccoons. They don't seem to be a deterrent, so I can't imagine statues working.

PS Now Jack says that there are more coyotes roaming our neighborhood streets in the daytime. I guess I better be more careful in what I wish for––coonhounds on loan!

What about wrapping tin foil on your railings and even something that would make more noise?
I was going to suggest tin foil, maybe you could roll it into balls and tie it up along where the racoon comes in?  
For a change I am so happy to be in the UK where our biggest problem is urban foxes, and we have not come up against one yet that will front out the corgi guard lol x
How about predator urine?  I have friends in Colorado uses coyote urine to scare off raccoon. However, I do not know what it smell like.... I think it is sold online.
Hey Sam, I feel your pain. Our raccoons, like yours, are the size of a small chevy. At night, their eyes glow and they scare the hell out of us when we don't expect them. We have real hawks and real owls that perch on tennis court lights in wait of these vermin. To date, the real birds of prey don't seem to frighten or harm anything but rabbits. Recently there's been a sizable increase in the number of coyotes that all of our neighbors are seeing daily, and in the day time. I better be more careful about what I wish for. I had high hopes for the coyotes curtailing our squirrel and raccoon population. I'm aware that we have encroached on their area and we all have chosen to live where we do. Yet, I am avidly reading every response to try to solve this problem. Lucy is the worst with her non-stop barking, even after she trees every squirrel. R/R lives and lets live.

I'm not sure how to implement this but... could you get the dogs to pee on the balcony, just a little?  When it comes down to it, dogs are predators and 'coons are prey, and they should have the prey reaction ("Run away!") to dog urine scent.  

Alternatively, you can buy predator urine online for exactly this purpose.  (I am not making this up- there's a lab nearby that studies the prey reaction to predator urine scent and at every poster session, they always get asked, "So... how *do* you get urine from lions and tigers and bears (oh my!)?")  

I'm not sure if anyone has commented on the ammonia trick but I'd highly advise NOT to do this...I had a neighbor that used this trick on some possums that moved into their yard and while it did drive them away, they got back more than they bargained for...FLEAS! Their dog had come in a day after the ammonia treating with what they thought were clumps of dirt on it's muzzle and back. When they tried to "dust" their dog off, they noticed the dirt moving all by itself...and of course the fleas made it into their house as well. UGH! Poor pup!

After much research and several calls, they learned ammonia seems to be a natural attractant for fleas. So, while it did get the possums a packin', our neighbor now had to seed their yard with flea treatment and treat the entire house for the infestation! Very $$$.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up if no one else had mentioned this potential hazard of ammonia.

Good luck and I wish you speedy racoon banishment!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service