Ok, I admit, I am writing this in a fit of passion and I'm sure hate is a bit strong for what I am really feeling but I need your help! I'm going to be totally honest here, at this point and time I CAN'T STAND KIRBY! He is a terror. I'm sure most of you saw my post of him on the kitchen counter, as funny as that was it was just a quick example of hurricane Kirby and I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do with him. He makes Marley (of Marley and Me) look like an angel. Today I came home to find my absolute favorite sandals in the whole world chewed to pieces. He has chewed 2 phone chargers, a blue tooth, pulled textbooks and novels off my bookshelf and shredded them, chewed the bottom out of a chair, climbed on the counter and shredded and/or ate everything he could find, ate an entire bag of ranch sunflower seeds and the list goes on and on.

By now you are probably thinking "why dont' you confine him?" I've tried. He is a little Houdini and escapes any confinement I can put him in. I haven't crated him for a full day yet because honestly I am worried about him tearing toenails or breaking teeth trying to get out of his crate in addition to eating his bedding and peeing/pooping all over the crate. He has escaped ex-pens (extra tall ones) and babygates, I can't lock him in any room because he climbs up on bookshelves and counters and could likely open cupboards. He was fine with free range of the house for the first few weeks I had him so I don't know what his deal is. He has a million toys and gets plenty of exercise so that's not the issue. I can't reprimand him because I rarely ever catch him in the act so I don't know how to teach him this IS NOT OK. Especially eating my favorite shoes :-( I am so sad about that.

Anyway, advice? Suggestions? Stories? I'm wanting to stick it out with this dog but honestly I'm having a hard time even LIKING him at this point because he has done very little to make me want to keep him. Maybe even support or stories of bad dogs gone good?

Views: 5706

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that it's important for people to realize this before they rescue.  Those first 16 weeks are critical to a dog's development, and dogs who are mistreated or even simply poorly socialized in those first 16 weeks are often never 100% where we want them to be.  For genetically happy-go-lucky dogs like labs and their crosses, it is not quite so important.  And some dogs in shelters were turned in for legitimate reasons (new child with allergies, sudden loss of income and resulting change in living conditions).   But many dogs in shelters did not have a great start.   Getting a shelter dog means committing to the fact that you may be getting a dog who is more work (and for a longer time) than a puppy.

I am glad Tenby was able to improve.   And it's nice to hear Kirby is doing better for now.

Very important info Beth...Thanks!

Yeah I'm hoping Kirby will get better. I have never owned a dog or cat that wasn't a rescue until Franklin. And only one of those dogs was rescued as a young pup. I've had a dog that was thrown in a river with the rest of his litter tied up in a trash bag, he was the only survivor, dogs that were passed to 2-3 homes before I ended up with them, dogs rescued from backyard breeder/parvo situations, etc and I"ve NEVER had a dog like Kirby. I think he is pretty much the worst case scenario as far as behavior goes, but at least he's not aggressive! That's his winning feature. I've got him figured out a bit for now but I fully expect him to regress again, so I don't think he will be a dog I can let free for at least several months. We will see. He also doesn't care about pleasing humans, when he minds its more of a "I"m only doing this so I won't get beat up" type of attitude. If a dog could roll its eyes when I give a command that dog would be Kirby. Its just hard having Mr. Perfect and bringing in the polar opposite personality. I know no dog can be Franklin, but I am hoping one day Kirby can become 1/100th of the dog Franklin has become.

Those first 16 weeks are critical to a dog's development, and dogs who are mistreated or even simply poorly socialized in those first 16 weeks are often never 100% where we want them to be.

This is SO true... it's unreal how much this applies to Ace. He was largely left to his own devices on a huge farm; he is so well-mannered around other dogs that we could call him the Mother Teresa. Even dogs with broken or aggressive spirits take kindly to Ace - he knows exactly how to approach every single dog that comes within his eyesight. But for people... well, he just doesn't care. He's still wary of strangers, and will never be a "people person". And even as his master, I hold little influence over his thinking. He grew up a free spirit, and that's probably how he'll stay for the rest of his life.

Yay!  Glad to Hear there is progress!  I'm sure the first day, Kirby was thinking, "Hey!  She wasn't mad at me today :D  What did I do different?"

I think in general, dogs want to make us happy (at least Scout is the biggest people pleaser ever), and if he figures out that not destroying anything is the way to do this, awesome!  Every time he doesn't chew something, act like he is the most wonderful thing in existence.   I think the point will get across pretty soon.  He's still young now, but enterring the age where he can tell right from wrong.

Again, yay!  So happy for you and him!

I'm really happy for you, Melissa. Maybe you two have 'turned a corner' so to speak!

If it makes you feel better, a friend of a friend had to keep their fridge bungee-corded shut because their coonhound could (and did) open the refrigerator door and eat everything inside.

The fact that Kirby can be around other dogs and people is so wonderful.  I would give almost anything if I could walk down the street with Tenby.  I can just see Franklin and Chepstow sitting in a bar having a beer saying, "do you know what my brother did today" and the other one would say "are you kidding, mine did this".  They would chuckle and say "we need another beer!"

LOL!! For real! Yeah it is a VERY cool thing that he gets along so well with other dogs. In fact dogs are his saviors and humans are to be feared. Works well with a confident buddy (Franklin) to help him out with the whole human issue. Also Franklin can be a bit of a tattle tale at times so does his part to keep Kirby in check, although Kirby could use quite a bit more correction from Franklin, but the little bit he does get seems to help as far as curbing Kirby's inappropriate nipping, barking, etc when he plays with other dogs (he knows no boundaries). Definitely fun to see him playing though

Bathroom. Take EVERYTHING out of the bathroom first. EVERYTHING. DONT FORGET THE TOILET PAPER!!!

And the trashcan.

AND the towels. 

AND the bottles.

If that can't hold him, god help you.

I can't keep him in the bathroom bc I have a shower curtain that would have to come down, the cat box is in there (nowhere else to put it), stuff is on the counter due to lack of storage space and nowhere to store the shampoo/conditioner/soap. Luckily the ex-pen set up I have now seems to be working to keep him confined. He has access to NOTHING but his bed which he seems to be slowly destroying, but better the cheapie bed than my expensive things! Lol

How are things going?

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service