Hi everybody!

So, a couple weeks ago, I adopted my little girl. When I was receiving her, the breeder told me she was 8 weeks old and was a full corgi. I saw the pictures and saw that she as black and white so I was a bit skeptical, but I was a little impulsive, so I met up with the woman and adopted Cara that day.

Anyways, after I got her, I was skeptical about her age and her breed, so i contacted the breeder and asked her if Cara was actually 1) a full breed corgi and 2) actually 8 weeks old since she looked REALLY small. The breeder assured me that she was a full Corgi and that she was born on December 9th. I adopted her on January 20th, so she was actually only 6 weeks old at the time. This upset me since it isn't healthy for puppies to leave their mothers before 8 weeks old. I kinda b*tched the breeder out for lying and she claimed that she wasn't lying.

So... I kept asking about the breed, because I took Cara to the vet and talked to a few more people and they said it's impossible for Corgi's to be full black and white. She eventually got sick of me nagging her and claimed that she got the parents tested and "just found out" that they are corgis mixed with Cane Corsos and chihuahuas.

So.. because of her lies, I don't believe ANYTHING she has said nor am I going to ask for a refund for the puppy since she doesn't seem like a good person to raise a puppy. I'm going to love Cara and keep raising her well:)

I'm just wondering if 1) she actually looks like she has a bit of corgi in her and 2) if anybody could tell what she looks like she's mixed with. I know it's hard to tell when they're a puppy.. but still

She kinda seems like she has some lab mixed in her, but her fur seems too fluffy and long to seem like a lab mix. 

Views: 815

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Puppy classes are great for socialization after the 12 wks vaccinations are in place.  As for socialization, what you want to socialize her to are all the people and things, places and situations in your environment and lifestyle that she will have to fit into later, so she can see them as normal and become a full partner in your life.  Start slowly, in age appropirate ways, teaching her how you want her to behave in those circumstances and thus setting good, happy patterns you can build on further as she grows and can handle more.  I recommend the book: " How to raise a puppy you can live with" by  Jack Volhardt and melissa Bartlett:

http://www.amazon.com/What-Good-Dogs-Should-Know/dp/0470146796/ref=...

OMG! She could be part Martian...who cares? She's adorable beyond all adorableness!

Cane corso? Do you know what a cane corso IS? Sorry, but if that thing has any cane corso in her, I'll eat her ears for dinner. That is ridiculous.

And speaking of ridiculous, my mother had a Chihuahua. A long-haired Chihuahua. That pup doesn't look like she has what you'd call a significant amount of Chihuahua in her.

Hm. The almond-shaped eyes? German shepherd. The coat? Possibly Aussie, border collie, could be anything, maybe some sort of water dog. The color? Could be anything. The woman probably stole the mutt or adopted it from a shelter and has no idea what's in it. Neither, I'll bet, does anyone else.

If this dog really is a mixed breed, you may be in luck. Mixed-breed dogs benefit from "hybrid vigor," which means they're less prone to the various ailments their purebred ancestors (if any) would risk. That means this dog may not run you into the poorhouse after all... They also tend to have very nice personalities. If it were me, I'd take the pup and RUN as far away from the crazy "breeder" as I could get.

If you find her getting hot in summer sun, you might try the Chillybuddy dog cooling vest.  It seems to work with our black-backed tris in summer sun above timberline; they get hot when there's no shade.

It was a corgi/golden mix that first brought corgis to our attention.  Lady looked like a corgi-sized golden.  Lived 20 years.  Walked off to die 2 weeks after our bro-in-law died.  A superb dog.

I knew a couple people who had their dog's DNA tested some years ago and came back with dubious results, but the ones I've known that had it done more recently seemed much more likely, so I assumed they had gotten better.  I think they have gotten cheaper.  I know some used to test for a pretty limited number of breeds.  I think it might be fun to check the research on how accurate they are now.  In the long run, it really doesn't matter as you will love her no matter what and more will reveal itself as she gets older.  In the last picture she kind of reminds me of a Havanese, although they have longer, curlier coats.  Does she have a tail and if so, how does she carry it?

Hmm yeah I'm still considering the DNA test. Her tail curls upwards most of the time

I certainly would question the DNA testing. Tank our rescue was 1st guessed as a Corgi/Bassett Hound and actually looks like he could be. His DNA testing came back Newfoundland,English Setter and many more. I can see spots that could be Setter, nothing to show Newfoundland, legs look like Bassett and he is a true Heinz 57...but a wonderful dog. We were his 4th home at 1 year of age but he is a great dog...whatever he really is. If you want to have your pup tested "go for it". It could be interesting:)

Whatever she is she is absolutely adorable!  We love them for their personalities not the breed or non-breed they are.  You have gotten good advice about socialization and training.  Even tho I've been training my dogs for over 30 years I do prefer starting out with classes.  It's good socialization for them and it can be a lot of fun for both dog and handler, an excellent bonding time.

Keep us posted on her.

I agree Linda and I know that I also need the class to remember how to do the training. It is fun and sometimes frustrating. When I started Sage she was not the brightest dog on the block and actually we used a prong collar for training(AKC classes). She now has a 100% recall and does great with other commands also. She actually really waits to get the "okay" before going out the door:)

Your puppy is adorable.  And I don't know why someone told you corgis can't be black and white.  My first corgi - a cardigan- was definitely all corgi and definitely black and white.

My current corgi is brindell, over 16 1/2 years old - still hanging in there - insisting on walking to the park every day - tail doesn't wag like it used to, she isn't obsessed with balls.  It's said watching her slow down.

After some more research, she even seems like a border collie - lab mix! Still not 100% sure about the DNA test, might do it, but I'll keep people updated as she grows up :)

Jane.....thankfully it's a long time between training a new one and a class reminds me on exactly how to do it and as I get older it also tempers my patience level.  I had to use a prong collar on my wolfhound and my rott/shep mix...they both had necks like tree stumps and were stubborn.

What ever you do, DO NOT leave her alone ever! She is in serious danger of getting kidnapped by some crazy dog lover , me perhaps? Could that face be any cuter. You're safe, I leave too far away to snatch her up. I want to squeeze her though. So glad you saved her from that despicable wench!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service