I'm new here, so I apologize if this question has been asked. I saw one similar, but it didn't quite answer my question...
Anyway, here's the story: I've been obsessing over getting another corgi for probably more than a year now, and since the company that owns our apartment has recently decided to allow their tenants to have pets, my husband has agreed to let me get one.
I did own a corgi mix in the past, but I didn't want to go into getting a purebred puppy without doing my research, so I've been reading everything I can about corgis and caring for them for ages (before we were even allowed to have a pet, actually), and I've begun contacting breeders.
Now here's my problem: very few, it seems, will even respond to my emails. :(
I've read about all the questions you're supposed to ask breeders, but I'm not sure what to say in the initial email.I didn't want to load it down with all my questions right off the bat, so I only asked a few things. Maybe I should have asked more?
At first it might have been because I inquired about their price in the first email (didn't realize that's apparently frowned upon- I just wanted to know how much I'll need to set aside ^_^') but I stopped including that question, and even still, no responses.
Is it because I'm emailing instead of calling on the phone?
Any advice on what I should say in my initial inquiry?
Call. :-) Don't bother with e-mails, at least for a while. Heck, even Facebook would be better since it's accessible on mobiles. Many breeders tend to fall into a certain age category that may or may not agree with checking e-mails regularly, but the house phone is always handy. Ring them!
Emailing should work. Many may be busy with work and litters although they should at least acknowlede you and let you know that they will be getting back to you. What I would write is a short summary of having a corgi mix and now being able to get a pup. Give them a bit of info and that if they don't have any litters now...what are their plans in the future(how long). Calling is ok too. Maybe wait a few days after you email and then call. If they don't get back to you in a week...I would look elseware...that's just rude.
I would start with the Mayflower Corgi Club. They have breeder listings on their website. Expect prices in New England to be from 1200-1800 for a pet corgi from one of these breeders though. I started my search this time last year. It took a few weeks for some of the breeders to get back to me. Be prepared for an interview process. I had to fill out extensive questionaires for some of the breeders to get to a waiting list. I agree with Ludi, you may want to call as well.
I don't advocate back yard breeders, but if you google Uncle Henry's there are a few ads in there.
There is someone on the site currently who is getting a puppy from Heronsway, check the recent blog posts. They might have some insight for you.
Who have you made inquiries to?
How long have you been waiting? Some of them are just really ridiculously slow with emails...
Thanks everyone for the advice. :)
I know I emailed at least 8 (I think more) a few months ago; I forget who, it's in my email somewhere. Three or four responded. I think two actually gave me some information, one was Heronsway I remember; one or two just didn't have any planned litters.
Recently I only sent out a few, probably about a week ago.
Heronsway and the other that I forget the name of both sounded good, but the prices were a bit on the high end of what we were thinking we could do, but I kept their information. I was hoping to find someone under 1500...
If you get on a waiting list, does that necessarily obligate you to buy from a particular breeder?
No, it should not. Everyone may be different you would be in line if interested. Usually then after a litter is born and you would be asked to put a deposit on one. Everyone may do this differently.
You are not obligated to buy from them until a deposit is given, but if you decide to go with someone else you should at least let the other breeder know.
Oh, that's good to know. I have been seeing a lot of nice things said about her on here, and just from the information she sent me a while ago, she does seem like an awesome breeder, and I would love to meet with her.
I think the main thing is that my husband, while perfectly okay with getting a dog, has trouble understanding spending that much on one, where on the other hand it doesn't bother me much as long as we can afford it.
But if we do a puppy fund like Natalie suggested, I think it could be doable.
Remember that spending a rather significant sum on a dog from a breeder like Heronsway (with their amazing lines) could mean spending a LOT less on potential vet bills later due to inherited illnesses/structural failings like dysplasia. I think you'd rather spend $1500 now on a great puppy (or whatever price range it may be for a breeder of that calibre) and avoid spending thousands in surgery, rehab and medication for severe hip dysplasia when the dog hits 3 years of age. :-)
Consider that some breeders try to plan to have puppies ready for a certain season, like summer or winter vacation, so that they can sell puppies when they're off of work or their kids are out of school or when people are most likely to have free time and want to buy a puppy. It might be that they're not replying because they don't have and don't plan on having puppies available for several months.
Many breeders will have only one litter every couple of years, so that should be taken into consideration. I also remember, from my own search in 2010-2011, that many breeders don't really check their email regularly. Remember that these breeders are busy working their full time jobs, caring for multiple corgis, and traveling for shows and competitions. Calling is often the better way to get in contact with them. :) I found that a little less than 50% of my e-mails were actually responded to, so you seem right in line with that.