Does your corgi roll around on his back like a chinchilla?

I know hedgehogs, Chinchilla and other small animals do that in the sand to clean themselves, kinda like taking a bath. But why do our dogs do that? What's your take on that?

Views: 2625

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Butter does it in the snow, believe it or not! He also does it in the grass in the summer. Also, if we give him a meal he particularly loves, he will do it on the hardwood floor. He is just too funny!
Algy likes to do this on the carpet. He lays on his back and just kinda moves his body back and forth, kinda like the dust bath you mentioned. What he also likes to do, is to drop onto one of his plush toys and rolls on that. He also tries to do this with some of his bones and tennis balls. He sometimes rolls on the bedding too. Maybe he IS trying to mark his scent. That would make sense.

We always thought that he did it because he's a little weirdo.
No idea. Sometimes they like to do it on my sissal rug, so I think it must feel good, like a back scratch. Other times, they do it in smelly things in the woods, so I figure it must add to the "eau de dog" that is so important to them. And like Butter's answer, as SOON as it snows, Ethel is outside making dog angels. Sometimes they just seem to do it anywhere for no apparent reason -- house, outside -- with a look of pure ecstasy that I totally envy. And in the dog park, they will flop onto their backs without wiggling -- total passive resistance when it's time to go. One of those unfathomable Corgi mysteries (like, where did you put my other sock, and how can you possibly be hungry again?).
I would definitely say it has to do with either rolling in a scent (often times so they smell like it. Mac will find places in the back yard where Asher used to "be" and rolls in it until he comes in smelling quite stinky.) and or other animals do it because its just a good old backscratch.... Don't tell anyone, but I will often mimic them if I have an itch I can't reach on my back. The carpet is a wonderful backscratcher XD
I have a theory--I've noticed Corgi's have dry skin, almost like terriers. It may to relieve from itching.

However, Gonzo just does it when he has way too much energy...
We call this "grass rolling" at our house. Our Susie LOVED to do this, just about every time we'd go out for a walk she'd find the perfect spot, dive down to the grounde nose-first, flop over and start wiggling and kicking like crazy. It was the most adorable thing. Joshua sort of tries, but his grass rolls aren't quite the same. He rolls down onto the ground nose first big then just sort of slides himself along on his side for a minute. It's still pretty funny. :)
my mojo will go up the hill put his head down than roll on his back and walk down hill 25 - 30 feet on back

Do you mean like this??? Mine all do it in winter more. They all do a little in the grass but Wynn also does it on this loopey rough mat I have in front of the door...my guess is they need to scratch!
Harlly likes to go to the dog park.. get in the pond, swim around a little bit.. get out and then proceed to roll around in the dirt until she is covered. She also likes to roll around on the carpet, i always assumed her back itched lol.
Mine love to roll in fresh cut grass, snow, and anything really smelly! I call the snow rolling "corgi angels" the rest of it is usually pretty gross!
Potus loves to do it - especilly after a bath when we let him out in the yard to dry off in the sun- he goes straight to the dirtiest patch and has a great time :) That said he also does it randomly indoors and out. So cute!
Guinness rolls aroung a LOT on the ground, indoors and outdoors. He was let into the whole house yesterday(except the upstairs) and he rolled on the ground like crazy! I heard from our old dog trainer that they like to leave their scent aroung the house and outside on the grass! Interesting!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service