i was out with some friends having a good time when i wanted to show them a photo of Baden, its one my favorite photos of him and just wanted to share it. i got a few !awww how cute!" "hes such a darling, i love him!" and the next response went like this "hes cute and all but i really think its selfish move to buy a  pure breed dog when theres so many amazing mixes out there. they are full of health problems and cost an arm/leg yet u pretty much get them for their looks. i grew up having only mixes and i cant stand the thought of why u would fall for something many people do. i mean look at how they show dogs making the parade around the ring like, o look at me, im better than the poor lab mix in the shelter. its no different than a kid Padget and he will get put down because of u. just because u wanted a pure breed dog"

it hurt beyond words. i got my first corgi Teddy (R.I.P) who wasnt a standard since he was bluie, but i loved him just the same! i did my research on dogs way before i made the decision. i knew a corgi was perfect fit for my life style. granted he came from a farm but he was an amazing dog. he was becoming a therapy dog because he has such a huge heart for people.

so what i got Baden from a breeder. i love this dog and his breeder was so passionate and so kind when she heard of Teddys passing and let me pick Baden out of the litter and i watched him grow every week when i visited. sure i paid a lot for him but i know she wasnt making a lot off me and i know it was because he was tested for every harmful genetic disease he could get and for his deworming, shots, etc. we still talk to this day!

i guess i just didnt know what to think but to give my 2cents worth and leave. i dont think showing your dogs is cruel at all. i know several people who do and their dogs love it. and on top of all this i have fostered 13 dogs in the past and have adopted 3 cats, not kittens from the shelter.

sorry for the rant, it just hurts that some people think this way about my dog and of me. she made it sound like i sentenced every dog in the shelter to its death 

this is teddy. my first corgi

and this is baden at 3 years old

Views: 1248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That person doesn't know that Corgis are special & not just for their looks. I would've just said I'm choosing the breed right now because I can & they're are a lot of them out there who have no homes. When I'm really old, I'll get a silver any dog & we'll grow old together. And BTW, keep your so-called PC comments to yourself.

im sorry? PC comments? did i say something to offend u?

I also remember Teddy and all the work you did with him...sometimes people don't think before they speak. I have rescues and my own purebreds...we have different times in our lives and different "needs". You needed Baden to fulfill a need after Teddy left you...there's no right or wrong!!!!!!!

thank you Jane <3 thats exactly why i had gotten Baden, i needed help getting though that tough time and he was the angel sent to me to help my heart heal. he makes me so happy and i just adore him so much.  if it were not for him i probably would of never gotten another dog and would of been in a state of depression longer  but he healed my broken heart and dried my tears away

I actually got Wynn after having a dog die unexpectedly...I had always waited for a few  months but when I got Wynn I had decided I needed a dog sooner rather than later...best choice I ever made but then he also started my Corgi addiction...I believe that our inner selves give us direction and we need to listen to that. When I got Tank it was also after a short while, I had an extremely obese male Corgi that I was waiting 3 months for as he was out of state, he died 2  weeks before I got him from a bowel obstruction...I always had felt an "urgency" to get this dog...guess it wasn't to happen  so I found my Tank:) He maybe needed me more as when I picked him up the rescue realized that we were to be his 4th home...in a year! He's the best dog:)

Sometimes people need to think before they speak as they don't know the circumstances...and it also NOT their business!

It's so sad when they die... One would hope to outlive one's dogs, of course, they having a shorter lifespan than humans...but since dogs often treat us better than do members of our own species, it seems like as great a loss as that of a beloved human.

When Anna the GerShep died, six months after Walt the Greyhound -- both at a ripe old age, but still... -- I thought "O.K., that's it, no more dog$"!!!  That resolve lasted about five or six months. Y'know,  I can't imagine life without a dog. I think we need them more than they need us.

At least you have been loved by two wonderful corgis! You can't fix stupid! I admire people that rescue but refuse to be intimidated  by people that are ignorant.  Good breeders dogs do not end up in shelters. People that are ignorant are to blame for so many animals in shelters.

defiantly well said Bev. none of her puppies will end up in a shelter. they had homes before they were ready for homes to call their own

I think someone on this site posted a statistic at one time that if there were no breeders, there would not be enough dogs in shelters to go around.  But I may be mistaken.

There are issues with purebreeds because the bloodlines may not get enough diversity (my vet likens it to hemophilia in the royal European families-too much inbreeding) but at the same time, the preference for a dog from a responsible breeder (such as the one you chose) is like picking chocolate ice cream and a preference for a mixed breed dog is like picking vanilla ice cream.  They're both good-just different choices.

The real issue is the irresponsible breeder or the mill breeder who doesn't have any respect for the quality (particularly health) of their "product".

That may have been me.  I think it's important for people who may be on the fence to know the truth;  I don't think I'll change anyone's mind who is already in the "it's only ok to adopt" camp.

https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/pet-statistics

I saw one stat that about 7 million new dogs are acquired each year, but that was about 15 years old so the number is likely higher.  But let's use 7 million new pet dogs each year as a baseline.

From the ASPCA:

-- Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats.

--Approximately 2.7 million shelter animals are adopted each year (1.4 million dogs and 1.3 million cats).

--About 649,000 animals who enter shelters as strays are returned to their owners. Of those, 542,000 are dogs and only 100,000 are cats

So that leaves somewhere between 1 million and 1.5 million dogs euthanized in shelters each year.  The stats don't tell us how many are adoptable and how many are too old, sick, or bad-tempered to ever be adopted.  But for argument's sake, let's assume what is obviously not true:  that all of the 1.5 million euthanized dogs are at least in theory adoptable.

People get 7 million new pet dogs each year, but the shelter system only takes in about 3.5 million that are not claimed by owners.  That means if everyone stopped breeding tomorrow, in Year 1 we would be short about 3.5 million dogs that people want but are not available.  And that's if a dog is a dog is a dog.  We know that is not true.  Someone who wants a 20 pound lap dog for mom in the senior high rise won't settle for a 14 month old lab-hound mix found running loose in Louisiana. 

Let's consider some more stats.  From another site, about 750,000 of the euthanized dogs are pit bulls and their mixes.  As I commented once on a Facebook post, why should everyone else in the country be denied the dog they want because too many drug dealers are over-breeding pit bulls?   In my own county, about 75% of the dogs on the site at any given time are pitties.  Some of them have been living at the shelter for over a year.  Many pitties require an experienced owner who wants an "only" dog and does not want their dog to socialize with other dogs.  What tiny percent of the dog-owning population fits that profile?  

So that leaves about 750,000 non-pit bulls euthanized in shelters every year.    There are between 70 and 80 million pet dogs in the United States at any one time.

Are we really meant to no longer have anyone breed dogs because 2 percent of all dogs in the United States are euthanized in shelters each year, half of them pit bulls who are not adoptable?  

In my own area, there are multiple rescues who routinely bring in van loads of dogs from the South to meet the demand for "rescued" rather than "bred" dogs because there are nowhere near enough dogs in the local shelter to meet the need.   I know of several people who watched for over a year for a suitable small dog from the shelter and either ended up buying a puppy or taking in a special needs dog because there were NO small dogs available.   I dropped off a Pomeranian we found because he was not crate-trained and not fully house-broken and so we could not keep him til his owners were found.  The shelter assured me that if his people did not show up (they did) he'd be gone within a day;  they have  waiting list for small dogs. 

Never let emotion get in the way of reality.   People who say "rescue only" mean well but are badly misinformed.

That's an interesting insight about dogs being schlepped in from other regions. We're told here that the county pound and the ASPCA are simply overwhelmed with abandoned animals.

But when you look for a a dog that would be a suitable companion (for example: I'm past the point in life where I can safely handle a large, high-drive animal like the German shepherds I've tended to favor), you find precious few. In Arizona, the shelter populations are mostly pit bulls and Chihuahuas.

While I'm sure pitties are wonderful, I don't want one because I personally do not consider the breed appropriate as a household companion and because dog fighting is a routine preoccupation for the gangs that infest this area -- their animals are often trained on live bait (which, BTW, is what happens to many of the stray and adoptable small dogs and cats in this area -- and to dogs stolen out of people's backyards). In that case, the animal is not safe around children or the elderly. As for Chihuahuas: my mother had and doted upon a perfectly nice little Chihuahua...that experience convinced me I don't want one of those, either.

On the other hand, I found Cassie at the local ASPCA shelter. By sheer luck, I happened to spot a picture on the group's website. I called as they were closing and found she was still there; showed up at the door as they opened the next morning. The check-out worker said eight people had already called about her, and she'd only been there a few hours.

In a city, most people think (rightly or wrongly) of a smaller dog as more manageable. Others would rather have a known quantity (i.e., health and personality characteristic of a breed) than a pig in a poke. Demand for smaller dogs that are not yappy, aggressive Chihuahuas is so high that you rarely see a dog in a shelter that you'd really want to have.

I've had the same comments.  Yet Max is a rescue that was returned to his breeder and Katie, who is his cousin, is a retired show dog from the same breeder.  I got my Irish wolfhound from a breeder and I have no problem getting another corgi-hopefully a puppy-from the same breeder as Max and Katie.  I have had plenty of mutts from shelters over my life time not to mention the array of cats that have shared my life.  All but 2 cats are from shelters and the 2 that weren't were strays that walked in my door.

I got a good lesson on the insensitivity of people.  Our daughter is adopted, she is from Korea.  I was walking with her in the stroller one day and a woman stopped me and asked me why I didn't adopt an American kid, weren't they good enough.  Needless to say I was taken back and immediately got angry beyond words.  And then I realized I don't owe anybody an explanation for what I do.  And people who say things like that are total jerks and not worth my time or getting angry.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service