so im taking baden out to potty at 5 this morning and im just walking back and this lady wanted to say hi to baden so i let her and she letting him give her kisses and what not and then she noticed the slip collar on his neck and changed her attitude immediately and shot me a look and asked why "that torture device was around his neck" and kept saying how i could kill him and cause long term damage etc. now i only use the choke or slip collar when i take him out to potty real fast. it slips on and i know he cant slip out of it other wise i use just a regular collar. i had to defend my self to this lady trying to explain this and she just kept repeating herself even though i told her i know how to use it properly and finally she said that she usually trys to report "people like me" who use these unnecessary devices on their dogs. i mean really?? i have never heard such ignorance from someone. it wasnt like i was dragging him around town choking him. it was like she was trying to say i dont love my dog but using this type of collar even though its just to take him out to potty.

is it really that bad? from now on i guess ill take the extra few seconds to snap his collar on. ugh sorry rant is over -__- 

Views: 761

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

some dogs need a pinch or choke collar. i mean there are so many items to choose as not one training tool is going to work for every dog. for teddy the head collar was perfect to teach him not to pull but for baden he could care less so i used the easy walk harness. worked perfect. now he walks by my side with a collar on or a slip collar. i just use the slip collar as more of protection as he has, many times, slipped out of it so a martingale or slip collar is perfect and gets his attention.

for someone wanted to used a slip collar but not knowing how to put it on her dog, worries me. especially for a pup. i hope she did end up going to class! lol

I also use an all nylon martingale.  Corgis seem to be champs at planting their feet and slipping their collars.  I never leave it on when he is alone. 

I use a regular collar just by chance, but my dog has slipped out of her collar more than once, just by accident. She just sits and waits for me to put it back on, but I think corgis present extra consideration with collar use because their heads are so much smaller than their necks so they can slip out. Unless it is just that Sully is too chubby. I do think this is the best place to get informed ideas though. Not that I don't trust the vet, but I like to check out this site for additional feedback because I think corgis are wonderful, but they have unique issues to consider. I sometimes use the harness collar, but I think we both prefer the regular collar.

It is frustrating when people make those kinds of comments about things they obviously have no understanding of. You just have to ignore them! Choke/training collars can be used properly and work very well. Any type of collar can be a problem depending on how they are used. You just can't cure Stupid!

I once mentioned to my dogs' breeder that a woman in agility kept insisting Jack needed to lose 5 pounds, even though at the time you could see his ribs if he moved the right way.... The breeder said whenever someone gives her unwanted advice she just says something like "Oh, that's interesting. Thank you." and leaves it at that. I try to remember that, because I think it's a very polite yet somewhat dismissive answer.

If you see her again ignore her or tell her to mind her business this time.

You're dog will sense the frustration and it will not be good to her in the end if she tries to approach him again.

Our friends had a female brown lab and one day were hanging out in the garage, having a beer and enjoying the fall season.

His neighbor, who's a "free spirit" and quite into new age medication, spirituality and stuff, sees his dog on a leash.   She asks why does the dog is on a leash.    He politely explains because she's prey driven and any little criter she hears in the bushes she will take off.    She then asks "why do you think your dog would run away if she's not on a leash...".

LOL!   We were just in shock with her questionning and obvioulsy not being a dog owner she is being completely clueless of the need for safety.    She would obviously be a careless dog owner with the beleive that if your dog really love you that it will stay by your side all the time....   shiiiissh.

LOL some people just dont understand. when i take baden to the dog park he normally stays by my side but the moment a dog runs by he has to chase them and some people there dont understand and always ask why he does that and just tell me "u should just call him back immediately so hes not chasing others" for one: hes a herding breed, he may stop in his tracks to come when called but that initial take off is in his nature 2: hes a dog and this is a dog park, hes allowed to run if he wants to 

Judith...I had a rott/shep mix.  He had the body of the rott including the massive neck but the smaller head of the shepdard.  He could slip a collar in a heartbeat and he was gone.  He was probably my biggest failure at obedience.  If he got loose he would not come when called.  I spent more time chasing him around the neighborhood.

Sorry Linda...have to laugh at this one!

I too use a martingale for safety. Rosie slipped her collar when we were in GA one winter when a big loose dog came roaring out of his garage. It was dusk and Rosie took off like a shot. She went about a block away then circled back around and came back. Fortunately she didn't get to the busy road and did come back. She doesn't like me out of her sight, which has it's drawbacks also. I used a choke collar the rest of the time we were there and bought 2 martingales when we got home. I use them on walks, traveling, and places where safety is important. I never leave them on the dogs-they are always attached to the leashes hanging by the door. Rose has the twist your head so you can escape this collar down pat and Rocky has slipped his also. The martingales are perfect. I got them in nice colors so they look friendly. They are all nylon so they look friendly also. What a person uses on their dog is their business unless they are harming the dog. Tell her to bug off!!!!!!!!!!

if i ever run into her again i certainly tell her that if she gives me anymore trouble. i have never looked at someone and judge them for what they use on there dogs. if someone wants advice i will help if i can but other than that its none of my business

We had a client come into the vet one time ranting and raving because she saw another client bring her Great Dane in with a pinch collar on. The first lady was going on and on and on about how inhumane it was and wouldn't listen to reason AT ALL. What she didn't realize was this same Great Dane has been known to go crazy at the vet, to attack other dogs, to attack the staff, yet when it has the pinch collar on it behaves beautifully. I personally HATE pinch collars but they are appropriate in many circumstances in the hands of owners who know what they are doing. A slip collar or slip lead is much safer on a dog that may try to slip its collar than a regular collar would be. Kirby slipped his collar one day when throwing a tantrum and took off. It took me over an hour to find him and in that case I was very lucky I lived on the river and far from traffic because he could have easily been killed. Ignore this woman, she is clearly ignorant and has nothing better to do that sit on her high horse making others feel bad about themselves.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service