UPDATE: What are things you wish you had known about Corgis before you got one?

I am wanting to start a blog about responsible dog ownership.  I talk a lot about responsible dog ownership on Reddit and I find myself writing the same things over and over.  It will be easier and more thorough for me to write a blog that I can reference!  

For one of my posts, I want to write an overview on owning Corgis for those thinking about adopting.  Our midget pals are growing more popular with the Royal Wedding and all that, and as you know, Corgis really aren't for everyone.  If I can prepare future owners for the task they face, I can go to sleep a happy owner.

So, what are things you wish you knew about Corgis before bringing one home?  Anything.  Temperament issues, health issues... whatever! 

UPDATE: Since this thread was resurrected, thought I would put a link to the finished product: Own Responsibly: The Comprehensive Corgi Guide- A Resource for New ...

Views: 4627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOl
Two things...first, do not overfeed - corgis gain weight just looking at food - and don't fall for that mind-meld stare. Second: pay close attention to what you feed them. No grains for Sophie. It took me a good 3 years and many trips to the vet to finally discover that she had allergies to chicken and grains. Figuring that out made all the difference. I've been blessed - she is 14yrs now.
And one more thing just occurred to me...when training, in addition to voice, train with hand commands/signals. Sophie is now 14yrs old and can't hear (really). I've been using the hand signals I learned for 'quiet' and 'come this way' - it has made a huge difference. I can still communicate w/her and she knows what I'm asking her to do. The challenge is that if I'm behind her and ask her to do something - she has no clue what is going on - and then I remember she can't hear me. It's a hard transition to realize they are growing old.
Oh I forgot to add that even though Zeus has 50 toys outside on the deck to play with and chew on he has decided that the deck itself is his new chew toy and has chewed holes in it so this afternoon I had to repaint it :( YIKES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Inspite of several remprimands and spraying bitter apple every time I turn my back he was back at it - toooo stubborn
This isn't something I wish I had known as I did it but people need to know how important socialization and training is. If a person gets a dog thinking they don't have to do anything it may not work. People should realize that they need to be learders of the pack.
I've always had dogs. Usually labs. No one warned me about OCD. I have it bad.
I wish I knew that I would end up getting more than one corgi!   
Once you pop, you just can't stop.

I knew they shed....a lot. However, the shedding force was far stronger than I originally prepared for, lol! I also agree with everyone else on how darn stubborn they can be. I'll tell Alwyn not to do something and he has the ambition enough to low ruff, bark back at me! I literally have to get into a stare down with him before he listens sometimes! 

I wish I'd known that I'd be signing away my independence, that I'd be a slave to those large brown eyes. I kinda suspected that. When you get a dog, it's easy to overlook that the dog is getting you.
A commitment to someone utterly innocent is incomprehensibly powerful, until you get into one.
You have to become the person they think you are.
John, your posts are always so insightful!
so true John where did all my free time go?????

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service