i have a rancher friend who is looking for a new puppy.  She'll buy from a good breeder but is torn between corgis and border collies. Currently, her place has 7 horses, 22 cats (all outside and fixed) a JR in the house, a rescued Border collie and a very ancient dalmation, also a rescue. The dogs have a HUGE run, fenced in, and are well cared for but not taken on walks.  They play some fetch and get to run behind a golf cart a lot.

So, any advice on which breed might be best? The rescued BC is very, very shy and runs away a lot.  The care is excellent and they'll hire a trainer to come and work with all of them when the new puppy arrives.  Very caring and good with all the animals.

Opinions?

Views: 1211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What does she want the puppy for? Companionship, herding, or both?  Or something else? :0
If the dog will not be an in the home pet, I would not get a corgi. They really need a family life.
Corgi's love love love to be with their people in the home, i dont know what a BC is like..

In my experience, most Border Collies do best in homes where they have a job:  either herding, or actively involved in agility or flyball or frisbee on a regular basis.  They want to spend a couple hours a day working with you, and physical exercise with no mental stimulation is typically not enough.

That said, my understanding is that in England, a lot of Border Collies from working stock who are deemed not drivey enough for farm jobs work out well in pet homes.  So, I'm not sure if the lines in the UK are different or it's a lifestyle/perception thing.  Regardless, I don't think a BC is the best choice here unless the owner intends to work with the dog on a regular activity on most days of the week.  Running on acreage won't be enough. 

My best friend has 2 Border Collies. They don't live on a farm but on a country property where the dogs have free reign. This is purely a pet home, no jobs for the dogs other than going next door and seeing if they can sucker the neighbours into feeding them too, and they do great. One of the dogs was a farm dog who was deemed no good, the other a stray that adopted them. They don't go on usual walks but will join my friend if she goes for a jog or for a special treat they get a drive out to the country for a picnic with me and Po tagging along. Running on acreage seems enough for them.

I have no experience of Corgis that aren't in a pet home, so I think it depends what Vee's friend wants. All I know is BCs can do fine in either environment.

she should talk to a few breeders of each breed and tell them what she is looking for, they will be able to tell her which is more suitable. It really depends on what she  wants the dog for and if it is going to be a backyard dog or a family dog. If its a backyard dog, a border collie would probably be better as long as it gets a lot of mental stimulation. They are bred to work and tend to be a little more aloof, where the corgis just have to have to have to be a family dog in your home.

I'm sure this will be a house and outside dog.  They are very dog centered folks. There's no time or interest for agility or any dog sports (she trains horses for a living), so there might not be any regular activity other than riding the gator up to the barn and hanging out with the family at night. So I guess it's a companion dog.

how about a Australian Shepard, i understand they are good dogs for this sort thing..

I was thinking the same thing.  I have known several stables that have Aussies.  They seem happy enough roaming around, keeping an eye on the place.  They are higher energy but don't seem to need the specialized work a BC does.

That said, Corgis are also very popular barn dogs, and if the dog will be inside at night it should be good. Plus Corgis are often great ratters.

I have always seen border collies as a little more high energy (hyper) than corgis so depending on what she is looking for. Also Aussies are great (we have one) and are more like a corgi but ours likes to be outside more. My Corgis are very happy being outside most of the day(unless it's hot)  if we are out BUT at night they want to be with their family in the house. So it really depends on her. Has she read up on the 2 breeds? One thought about a BC or a Aussie is the longer fur and getting burs in their fur! Let us know what she decides.

My mom rescues border collies and her current BC is the laziest dog on the planet. Never have seen anything like it!

That being said, BC are born to work...even the lazy one has an extremely high herding drive. They are so intelligent they are almost neurotic sometimes.  

My friend has a deposit on a BC litter arriving in 2 weeks. Asked the breeder for a calm,lower energy puppy if possible.  I think she finally decided that since she has one  year old rescue BC (the very, very timid guy) another BC puppy might help.

Having known a few pretty hyper BCs, I would have opted for the Corgi but then, well, I'm addicted to them having 3 currently!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service